Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2015 09:00

closing lid sometimes does not sleep the machine (XPS 13 2015 version)

I seem to have a problem when I close the lid on my new XPS 13 - mid spec broadwell 2015 version.

It does seem to be intermittent and not always repeatable but I will also try to confirm this.

Basically I can think of 2 recent instances where I closed the lid, no power plugged in, and it appeard it had not slept.

In one example I opened the lid a day later (power not plugged in) and the battery was flat.

The second example was I put it in a laptop bag, took it out after about 1 hour and it was very very hot with the fan going and had drained a full battery to 40% within that short time in my bag. I am certain it was in tight enough such that it would not have accidentally been opened.

I had done all relevant BIOS updates and windows updates as necessary. and the setting in control panel is set for the laptop to 'sleep'when the lid is closed (I haven't touched these settings so this is the default setting)

Any thoughts?

13 Posts

November 10th, 2015 11:00

Dear JA5KA 

What a great posting, you really did some work.
I was not even aware of the tools you refer to.

I want to make similar investigation.
I managed to find the elevated command prompt.
How can I find out more about the tools- powercfg??

My results so far….

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /sleepstudy

S0 Low Power Idle is not supported on this machine. Cannot run tool.

I guess this means my laptop that is just a few months old does not even sleep?? Or do I need to turn something on?

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /energy

Enabling tracing for 60 seconds...

Observing system behavior...

Analyzing trace data...

Analysis complete.

Energy efficiency problems were found.

4 Errors

18 Warnings

32 Informational

See C:\WINDOWS\system32\energy-report.html for more details.

The energy report is sitting there… it won’t open in browser.
In text view it has so many lines I gave up.
How to use/view this report??
How to use the tool when the laptop sleeps??
Would appreciate a push in the right direction to get troubleshooting.

I know from recent experience that installing drivers on this machine can be very tricky. The system does not properly report what is happening when driver load fails.

12 Posts

November 10th, 2015 13:00

TonyVov, you cannot open the report in a browser because it is in a system folder. Either copy the file e.g. to your desktop or run your browser as administrator.

11 Posts

November 14th, 2015 00:00

Mine was working fine, until I changed some BIOS options. I changed them back this morning, and it sleeps properly again when the lid is closed.

For me, it had enabled the powered USB port for when the lid is closed. That prevented the laptop from going to sleep in Windows 10.

When I disabled that again, it did sleep again when the lid was closed. 

Hope this helps!

1 Message

December 2nd, 2015 13:00

I was having the same problem and discovered what was causing it for me: McAfee.

I could see my laptop waking up about a second after putting it to sleep (via "Power" in the Start Menu). I then noticed McAfee activity in the windows event viewer every time i put it to sleep. 100% reproducible. After uninstalling McAfee (both the AV and WebAdvisor), it immediately stopped happening.

Hope it works for you.

1 Message

December 4th, 2015 13:00

That did the trick for me. Forgot I had turned that on. Thanks a million.

12 Posts

December 9th, 2015 08:00

This is frustrating! As you might have read from earlier posts on this thread, my sleep problems disappeared after days of tweaking and investigations. Still Dell wanted to fetch the laptop for repair for two weeks: I have no clue nor reports about what was done if anything, but the power consumption during sleep went down from huge drain to big drain.

Now, after doing pretty much nothing but some web browsing, the laptop again does not sleep. The power button light goes off, but fans get back spinning after less than a second of silence. I do not have McAfee nor the powered USB enabled in BIOS. I do have Bitdefender, but on the other hand, the problem in the first place came out of the box with factory settings restored and no software installed.

Btw. it was pretty interesting to notice that even navigating in BIOS seemed to be so CPU intensive for me that the fans started blowing after spending there half a minute. Is it the same for everyone?

It is sad that this laptop that is otherwise so great is breaking my nerves with this issue which seems to come and go randomly and no-one has a clue why.

1 Message

December 14th, 2015 01:00

I have the same issue on my recent XPS 13..

When I close it or push the power button, I configured it to go in "Advanced Hibernate mode", but instead of it, He shutdown the screen, put the plane  mode OFF or ON, and light back the screen...

So ***, and what's going on ? Why there is still no fix about it ?

Regards

12 Posts

December 18th, 2015 02:00

Hi, for month i faced this issuer with bad lid , screen, and sleep never sleeping, etc...  and TADA !!!

I'm windows 10 insider, MS publish a new build this week and since install it, My XPS works perfertly (like it was on win7) ...

No thanks DELL ...

1 Message

December 20th, 2015 21:00

I had this exact issue with the new XPS 13 (9350, just bought it at the end of November), where battery would drain down while the laptop had the lid closed. The hard drive would not go to sleep, and I would still see the light on the side. Well, it does look like the latest BIOS update addressed the issue. After the firmware update, the XPS 13 is now going to sleep properly when the lid is closed.

2 Posts

December 28th, 2015 23:00

vonniek...thanks for the suggestion.  I was having the same issue and it looks like the new BIOS did the trick...thank you.  I am really pleased with the XPS 13 that I just got over a month ago and would have been tragic if this issue tainted the product as it looks like it may have for some.  Hopefully this worked for everyone else.

1 Message

January 29th, 2016 15:00

This issue began for me a few days ago. In addition to my XPS  13 Touch QHD not sleeping I noticed it won't even shutdown or hibernate, it kept coming back up. A BIOS update seems to have addressed this like @grdulak wrote..

In Device manager:

1. Under the view menu, enable "Show hidden devices"
  2. In the devices list expand Firmware
  3. Right click on "System firmware x.x.x" and "Update driver software"
  4. After updating, make sure to restart to complete the update. Might take a some minutes.
  5. Verify that this solves your problem

13 Posts

March 11th, 2016 02:00

Absolutely. Dell should take it seriously.

5 Posts

March 21st, 2016 17:00

Hey all! I don't know how many people have figured this out yet, but I recently upgraded my Dell XPS 9333 to Windows 10 and for the past several days my Dell XPS has had trouble sleeping upon closing the lid. The symptom is that I would close the lid and then hear the machine still running after a full minute. I would then have to "restart" the computer by doing a force shut down (holding the power button) and then booting the computer back up. In addition, the problem occurred after more often after using/leaving the computer on for several hours.

I have been able to fix this problem. A clean install of Windows 10 does not install the Intel Rapid Start driver (or if it tries to, it fails). This driver is essential for the computer to sleep because it allows the CPU to transfer the data from the RAM to the SSD and vice versa. I don't know why this has to be there since I thought that sleep mode used only the RAM, but hey, what do I know? As far as I'm concerned, my computer is fixed. So, what I did was I did a factory reset to Windows 8.1 using the factory partition so that the machine has all of the necessary drivers and then upgraded to Windows 10 (rather than doing a clean install of Windows 10 like I did the first time). When you upgrade to Windows 10 rather than clean install to Windows 10, the machine keeps all of the necessary drivers. To reiterate, using this method allowed me to close the lid and sleep the computer without a problem.

I think that if you don't want to spend several hours doing a factory reset and then doing the upgrade, you can just reinstall the Intel Rapid Smart driver which should be on the Dell page. You can also install the whole *** thing if it's missing.

I did this with my Dell XPS 9333 (the Haswell version of this laptop). I don't know if this fix will work with the Broadwell and Skylake refreshes, but you can always try it and see if it works.

Finally, perhaps y'll can help me with spread the word on the Dell forums, help the people on there.

Hope this helps any of you XPS owners out there!

P.S. Installing the Intel Rapid Start driver may help for all non-XPS machines too. I don't know for sure though.
P.S.S I know that you got an answer for this, but just in case, I hope this still helps somewhat. Just want to share the knowledge and help people.

1 Message

March 23rd, 2016 17:00

Which options did u change /?

thanks

5 Posts

March 24th, 2016 10:00

I'm not sure I understand the question. 

But to sum up, I did a factory reset to Windows 8.1 on the Dell XPS 13 9333. Then I did the Windows 10 upgrade and that fixed this issue. This is most likely due to the fact that the factory reset installs the Intel Rapid Start Technology and the Intel Rapid Storage (they are two separate drivers). 

Hope that helps.

No Events found!