Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2015 09:00

closing lid sometimes does not sleep the machine (XPS 13 2015 version)

I seem to have a problem when I close the lid on my new XPS 13 - mid spec broadwell 2015 version.

It does seem to be intermittent and not always repeatable but I will also try to confirm this.

Basically I can think of 2 recent instances where I closed the lid, no power plugged in, and it appeard it had not slept.

In one example I opened the lid a day later (power not plugged in) and the battery was flat.

The second example was I put it in a laptop bag, took it out after about 1 hour and it was very very hot with the fan going and had drained a full battery to 40% within that short time in my bag. I am certain it was in tight enough such that it would not have accidentally been opened.

I had done all relevant BIOS updates and windows updates as necessary. and the setting in control panel is set for the laptop to 'sleep'when the lid is closed (I haven't touched these settings so this is the default setting)

Any thoughts?

14 Posts

May 30th, 2016 12:00

After Dell released a new graphic driver a couple of days ago, the sh*t with not going into sleep and draining the battery started again.

I uninstalled the driver today (via Control Panel - Program - uninstall a program) and used the one from the Intel webpage. It looks pretty much like the problem is solved. The battery lost 1% in 6.5 hours while in sleep. 

14 Posts

June 1st, 2016 01:00

I'm away without the laptop but checked my USB drive and the files is labled  win64_154022_4424.exe

You should get this automatically when you go on intel.com and let run their auto-detect utility for drivers.

12 Posts

June 1st, 2016 01:00

Buckball60, could you be so kind to point out exactly which driver and version you are using. I am pretty sure I have tried that option already, but better double check this in hope of resolving this issue some day...

In the meanwhile, it seems like disabling Intel Management Engine driver resolves some but not all of my issues:

- when plugged in, the system does not unintentionally go to sleep mode by itself anymore (which btw. consumed more power than being awake)

- when plugged in and sleeping, I have not faced the situation within the last few days that the laptop fans would be blowing in full speed

- the laptop bottom is still a bit warm but definitely not hot while sleeping

I have already once rolled back to Windows 8.1 factory state and the whole laptop, including performance and battery life, felt amazing. After trying it for a couple of days and upgrading to Win10 the problems were back. I wonder has any of you been able to install Win10 factory image directly and gotten rid of the issues?

14 Posts

June 1st, 2016 06:00

Right, I had that message too. You need to uninstall the Dell driver via control panel first.

63 Posts

June 1st, 2016 06:00

Intel detected this driver for my XPS13 9350 as well.  However when I install it I get an error message that says "this drive is not validated for this computer, please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer."   So the Intel driver sees this is a Dell and wants me to get Dell's version of the driver.

How did  you get the driver to install?  Thanks

August 31st, 2016 20:00

I don't even know if this will solve the issue but it's a SUGGESTION that no one from DELL can do besides point you to the obvious things that anyone can google.  I've had my Laptop for about 4months now and experienced the following ALL related to issues when closing the lid/charging/power options

1st) Laptop was only charging occasionally and first couple times I closed the lid I'd wake up and laptop completely dead.

-Dell sends a tech out to replace motherboard. (isn't solved while Tech is here) issue my laptop to be sent in

-Dell gets my laptop, replaces Motherboard

2nd) Month goes by and I start to frequently have issues where laptop is heating up, not powering on when I open lid unless hard reset.

-Dell sends a tech out after I refuse to send in again. Tech replaces fan & heatsink....

3rd) a whole couple days go by and what do you know intermittent power issues again where randomly I close lid, go to open it and have to do a hard reset.

I can't tell you guys how much of a POS this xps13 is that is RAVED about with online reviews.  Dell has some serious hardware issues with this device and it's been nothing but a problem.  I've lost work and time because of this issue.  Oh and constantly telling me to check for drivers and update is not a solution either.  My device should work WITHOUT needing to update and it seems every few weeks a driver of importance NEEDS updating.

FURIOUS! BUYER BEWARE 

1 Message

December 24th, 2016 13:00

For me the solution was playing with some powercfg commands. Dell XPS 13 9333, the problem has arrived after clean Win 10 installation. No Intel Rapid Storage or other additional Intel drivers are installed on my machine except of Intel HD Graphics.

1) Run command line in Admin mode

2) powercfg -requests

for me its output looks like this:

3) all drivers, programs or devices mentioned there are first foe candidates which prevents your machine from sleep.

4) Disable them all with "powercfg -requestsoverride candidate_driver_name_case_sensitive" command

5) You can check the list of disabled drivers with "powercfg -requestsoverride" command. In my case I had to disable 2 of them:

6) Now my XPS goes to sleep when I close the lid and perfectly wakes up in a second :)

Hope it helps to somebody.

P.S. This not a Dell devices problem, but a generic issue with Windows itself. I saw dozens of similar topics on MS forums from Lenovo, Asus, etc. owners.

December 29th, 2017 13:00

It's funny that we're rolling into 2018 and that Problems still isn't solved. It baffles me how a Company THIS big can't handle a "mini Problem" like this in 2, ~3 Years.

You still have to use a "workaround" and disable some Driver.. unbelievable.

No Events found!