Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2013 19:00

crackling/delayed audio playback from cd/dvd drive

For a Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop running Windows XP

For the last few months I've had an issue with audio playback from my dvd drive.  Each time I play a DVD or CD, the primary audio (not always/necessarily the background audio) has a cracking/crackly sound, delayed and stuttered.  This happens when I play DVD's/CD's from my drive - no issue with sound streaming from internet, iTunes, etc.  I'm having a difficult time trying to fix this issue.

PLEASE NOTE: In DEVICE MANAGER, I have an issue with the "Modem Device on High Definition Bus".  I'm not sure if this is related or not, but it is the only ! I'm getting in DEVICE MANAGER.

I've been searching numerous threads to find a solution, and so far I have no luck.  I know this laptop is outdated, but for financial reasons I'd like to squeeze about 6 more months out of it (bought it in 2008).  It's a minor issue overall, but I'd like to get it resolved.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.  Please keep in mind that I am not 100% computer savy.  I get the feeling this issue has been discussed/resolved before on this forum, but I still have not found a solution.

Thanks so much!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 27th, 2013 12:00

Try the suggestion in section 3 of the Choppy/Skipping Audio FAQ, about checking the DMA mode. Just check the drive if it is an IDE drive. Follow the instructions and if the path to the drive does not exist on your laptop then probably the drive is SATA and you don't need to check its mode. Skip the part about checking your hard drive because I'm pretty sure on the 1520 it is SATA and the instructions do not apply to that type.

If you are unable to follow the instructions then probably it does not apply to you, or if you can follow them but everything checks out then you might have a hardware problem with the drive. Use the Dell 32 bit Diagnostics tests to check it, if you have the tests, or check with the folks on the Disk Drive discussion board.

PLEASE NOTE: In DEVICE MANAGER, I have an issue with the "Modem Device on High Definition Bus".  I'm not sure if this is related or not, but it is the only ! I'm getting in DEVICE MANAGER.

If there is no hardware failure with the modem then the error should be resolved by re-installing the modem driver.  It is true that there is a connection between the modem and audio, but it seems like that would affect all audio if if affects any.

14 Posts

January 27th, 2013 15:00

Thanks so much for your response!

I checked Device Manager and looked at the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.  There are 2 "Primary IDE Channel" listed - no Secondary IDE Channel.  The first one was set as PIO, so I changed it to "DMA if available".  I restarted the computer and the problem still exists.  Plus the "Current Transfer Mode" still says "PIO Mode".

Any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 27th, 2013 17:00

Maybe this will help:

"Note: If you get to step 6 and find you cannot make changes in the dropdown box, go to http://winhlp.com/node/10

They have a little script program to reset to DMA mode. Click on the link in their 1st step. (Note: for best results use Internet Explorer when executing the vbs script in Step 1). Read the instructions in their steps 2-5 and then run their program. It makes edits to your Windows Registry to try to reset the drive(s) back to using DMA mode. If you want to know exactly what the program does, scroll down to "Re-enable DMA using the Registry Editor" for the full explanation.

The rest of their article describes the problem in great detail and discusses possible causes and solutions for it. You don't need to read the entire article unless running their program doesn't get your drives back into DMA mode."

No Events found!