Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2012 18:00

crash after sleep/close lid

My Dell 14z just one month old always crashes when I close the lid if 'close the lid' does Sleep in Power Mgt settings.

It always did this.

(have to hold down Power button to start, then it says 'Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown').

Fan is still going after shut the lid, seems not to be acutally shut down. 

When I changed the setting to Hibernate on close lid it does not crash. 

I can Suspend (is that the same as sleep?) using the Shutdown button on the Start menu.

model is Inspiron 14Z 5423

6 Posts

December 16th, 2012 20:00

after reinstalling the Wifi driver (same version as I had, 3/21/2012 ver 9.2.0.496), seems to be working ok so far.

Driver install hung till I did Remove, then install. 

November 21st, 2012 20:00

Hi tomtul2,

I recommend you to perform the following troubleshooting steps:
1. Try updating system BIOS
Note: Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:-
- Battery should have 10% or greater charge
- Adapter should be connected
- No external devices should be connected
- All other programs should be closed and documents saved

- Click http://dell.to/PoTbpn to download the latest system BIOS
- Click on “Download File”
- Save the BIOS on your desktop
- Right click on it and select “Run as administrator”
- Follow the prompts on screen to install BIOS (System may produce beep sounds and may restart)
- Put the laptop in sleep mode and re-check results

2. Update Video card drivers
If the issue persists, try updating the video drivers. This laptop is built with a variety of video cards (ATI, NVIDIA, Intel). Please install the applicable device driver from 'drivers and downloads' section for your laptop in Dell Support website. You may find the following steps useful:
- Click http://dell.to/Qnizfs to access the 'Drivers and Download' section
- Enter the system's 'Service Tag' in the blank field
- Select the operating system installed in the laptop (from the drop down)
- Locate 'Video Category' in the list of 'Drivers' and Expand it
- Locate the appropriate 'Video Card' driver from the list and install it

If you want information on the 'video card' installed in the system, please check 'device manager'; you may find the following steps useful:
- Click 'Start' and click 'devmgmt.msc' (without quotations) in 'Search programs and files'
- Click < Enter >
- Locate 'Display Adapter' and Expand the category
- You will find the video card name mentioned there (Use this information to locate the video card driver on 'Driver and Downloads' on Dell support website)

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

6 Posts

November 21st, 2012 21:00

I will try them. However 'update your bios, update your drivers' is generic advice when the cause is not known.

Since the system had this problem as shipped from the factory I am disappointed you don't have a solution.

I also wish you had a utility that automatically downloaded the latest applicable drivers like HP does (dv6 laptop)

November 22nd, 2012 22:00

Hi tomtul2,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Video drivers have a strong impact on sleep/hibernation functions of the laptop; and BIOS update also installs patches that fix sleep related and fan noise issues. Please try the steps that I suggested in my previous post.

Do reply if you have any further questions. Glad to assist.

5 Posts

November 28th, 2012 19:00

Dear Dell,

I have the same problem, my Dell Inspiron 14z 5423 always crashed when i tried to resume from sleep

i have install new bios and videos driver as suggested above

what else should i do

November 28th, 2012 20:00

Hi Rizkask,

Updating video drivers does not always work if currently installed drivers are corrupt.

I recommend you to try re-installing the video drivers to see if that works. (Refer to the steps below, if needed)
- Click Pearl Icon
- Click inside 'Search Programs and Files'
- Type 'devmgmt.msc' (without quotation)
- Hit 'Enter' Key
- Device Manager Page opens up
- Expand option 'Display Adapters'
- Right click 'AMD GPU' and click 'Uninstall' (If your system works with integrated graphics, 'INTEL HD' will show up instead of AMD)
- Place tick mark in check-box that states 'Also remove the software'
- Restart the system

- Click http://dell.to/T2hKYc and enter your system's 'Service Tag' to access the 'drivers section' for your computer on Dell support website
- Select the 'Operating system' installed
- Expand 'Video' category and download the applicable 'video driver' for your laptop
- Save the file on 'Desktop'
- Right click the file and click 'Run as an administrator'
- Click 'Yes' to the 'User Access Control' prompt
- Follow through with the installation of the driver
- Restart the computer and check again

If re-installing 'Video card' drivers do not work, please try to disable 'sleep hybrid' option in 'power options' (You may find the following steps useful):
- If using 'Windows 7' click 'Start' and type 'Power options' in 'Search programs and files' text box and tap < Enter >
(If using 'Windows 8' switch to 'desktop mode' and type 'Power options' and tap < Enter >
- Click on 'Select a power plan' tab, and under the 'Preferred plans' section, select the option for 'Change plan settings'
- You are now redirected to the 'Change settings for the plan' page. Now click on the 'Change advanced power settings' option and under the 'Advanced settings' tab, expand the button next to the 'Sleep' tree followed by the expansion of the 'Allow hybrid sleep' option. Select 'Off' from the drop-down list as the value for both 'On battery' and 'Plugged in' options in your laptops
- Click 'OK' and save changes

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

5 Posts

November 29th, 2012 23:00

Dear Dell

I have uninstall and reinstall video driver as instructed above

But the crashed still happen when notebook in sleep condition

Please help me..

December 4th, 2012 05:00

Hi Rizkask,

Thank you for your response. Would like to confirm if you tried disabling the 'sleep hybrid' option in 'power option' settings. If that does not fix the issue, you may try restoring the system software back to factory settings.

Your laptop was shipped with a pre-loaded recovery partition on the hard drive. If the laptop still has the factory installed 'Windows', I can share detailed steps for a 'factory restore'. Please share the operating system installed in the computer from factory; also mention if you have attempted reinstalling 'Windows'.

Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

6 Posts

December 10th, 2012 19:00

The versions of the updates I installed that fixed the problem were

Dell Inspiron 5423 System BIOS version A06

video 6/5/2012 8.15.10.2669, A00

I don't know what the original versions were but the laptop was very new, I had had it only a month.

6 Posts

December 10th, 2012 19:00

It worked! I was skeptical but it worked. 

First I loaded the BIOS driver and it did not help. The laptop got worse and worse. It was crashing every time it tried to Hibernate or Sleep. Wifi was disconnecting a lot too. Now it is fine. Thank you. 

6 Posts

December 11th, 2012 21:00

The problem came back! (crash when sleeping or sometimes when hibernating). It worked for 2 days.

Also the wifi disconnects a lot , especially after wake up from hibernate.

Wifi seems to often reconnect when I clickon the wifi icon in the systray. But then it disconnects again.

I will try removing the old video driver and reinstalling.

Then what? Recover from the recovery partition?

5 Posts

December 11th, 2012 22:00

Dear Dell,

I have tried all steps above,

and I have restore to factory setting 3 times (using F8)

and it still crashed while sleep and connected to wifi

it is not crash when sleep and wifi not connected

I have flashed bios to A06, update video driver, update wifi driver, but it can not help

another problem:

Also wifi often disconnect while using, and i must click wifi icon and wait some seconds, it connected again

December 12th, 2012 04:00

Hi Rizkask,

It appears that the 'wireless card' driver in your laptop needs to be updated. Please follow the steps listed below to find out the 'wireless card' installed in the laptop:
- Click 'Start icon' and type 'devmgmt.msc' in 'Search programs and files' (without quotations); tap < Enter >
- 'Device Manager' page opens up
- Expand category 'Network Adapters' and capture the name of 'Wireless Adapter' (This laptop is either shipped with one of the Dell Wireless 1703/1704/1901 adapters; or one of the Intel Wireless 2230/6150 adapters)

Please share the following:
- Name of the 'wireless adapter' that is shipped with your laptop
- 'Operating System Make' (Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit)
- Security software/Firewall installed in the system (Current subscription status)

I will provide you the latest drivers and steps for updating/re installing the wireless drivers.

Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

December 12th, 2012 05:00

Hi tomtul2,

Thank you for your reply. Please share if you made any software change (any power options customization) in the laptop just before the issue reoccurred. We can try the following troubleshooting steps before attempting a 'factory restore':

1. Inspiron 5423/14z laptop is shipped with a discrete option of an AMD High Definition graphics card also; I checked the 'video driver version' that you have installed. It is designed to work with 'Intel High Definition' on-board adapter. Please re-check 'Device Manager' and expand 'Display Adapters' (As I suggested in my original post) and to find out if 'AMD HD card' also shows up. If yes, please update the discrete video card driver from the following link: http://dell.to/YhoaVT

2. If your system is not shipped with a discrete video adapter, please try installing 'Windows updates'; restart the laptop and check again

3. Update 'Wireless Card' drivers: Please follow the steps listed below to find out the 'wireless card' installed in the laptop:
- Click 'Start icon' and type 'devmgmt.msc' in 'Search programs and files' (without quotations); tap < Enter >
- 'Device Manager' page opens up
- Expand category 'Network Adapters' and capture the name of 'Wireless Adapter' (Inspiron 14z/5423 is either shipped with one of the Dell Wireless 1703/1704/1901 adapters; or one of the Intel Wireless 2230/6150 adapters)

Please share the following:
- Name of the 'wireless adapter' that is shipped with your laptop
- 'Operating System Make' (Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit)
- Security software/Firewall installed in the system (Current subscription status)
- Do you have any external device plugged into the laptop (Example: Wireless mouse, etc); If yes, please unplug them and recheck

4. If the issue persists, you may run 'hardware diagnostics' to check 'hardware functionality'.
- Please restart the system
- As soon as you see the blue Dell logo, repeatedly tap ‘F12’ key

Note: If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again
- After you tap ‘F12’ key, a new window would appear. Use the 'Down' arrow key to highlight the option “Diagnostics” and hit Enter to initiate diagnostics
- Please capture the error code and report

If the 'hardware diagnostics' pass successfully, we can try performing 'factory restore' to see if that works.

Hope this helps. do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

5 Posts

December 12th, 2012 20:00

Dear Dell,

Wireless adapter installed: Dell wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4Ghz)

Driver date: 21/mar/12 version 9.2.0.496

OS: Win 7 Home basic sp1 64 bit (as installed from factory)

Security software: windows defender & MS Security Essentials (I have uninstall McAffee before)

No external device plugged

I have run hardware check from F12, and it passed without any error

an information for you:

if i disconnect wifi, then notebook able to sleep normally and i can wake up it

when wifi connected, it sleep and then at a time, BSOD with message Driver power state failure (NToskrnl.exe)

Please help

No Events found!