Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 6th, 2014 13:00

damaged screen

last night my son was playing LOL on his laptop -(dell inspiron approx 1 &1/2 years old) and the laptop fell on the hardwood floor from its tray. now the screen is damaged and has no display--is this repairable or what? anyone have experience with this?

615 Posts

May 6th, 2014 15:00

Unfortuantely TFT LED LCD displays aren't very durable. Impact is the primary cause of LCD display problems and although it costs less to replace than buying a new lappy, the repair including the part is typically upward of $125 USD. At my shop I charge a flat $150 which is market competitive for my locale.

Dell is pretty good about making the Service manual available for most of their products. The repair can be done at home as long as you can follow the instructions closely AND order the correct part. LCD displays generally cost between $60 and $90 depending on size and resolution. The PartsPeople (available at that dot com address) has several videos tutorials for how to replace your LCD at home. 

The graph pattern you describe is most likely the result of the X and Y drive circuit connections from the logic board becoming misaligned. If you replace our LCD at home you'll be able to see those connections under the film cover that says "DO NOT TOUCH" on it but you won't be able to actually see the misalignment that's causing the problem. 

PRIOR TO PURCHASING A NEW LCD OR TAKING YOUR LAPPY TO THE SHOP:

Plug your laptop into an external monitor (any ole monitor will do) and use the Fn+F1 keys to view lappy on external display. This will enable you to verify there is no problem with the graphics output before you purchase a new LCD. GOOD LUCK. If you need the manual or futher guidance let me know. 

If this reply was helpful please remember to hit the YES button to verify this solution so other users can easily find it. If you need further assistance don't hesitate to contact:

5 Posts

May 6th, 2014 16:00

wow! Thx for the thorough response! I will take your advice and see what develops. $ 150.00 sounds too good to be true!

38 Posts

does the screen still light up but no picture ?

or is the screen completely off?

Chirs :)

38 Posts

hmm could you post a picture?

and what country are you in so i can search up parts if needed 

Chris :)

38 Posts

okie dokie well im in the uk and i shall try my best to help you 

it could be case of just replacing the screen if it is it shouldnt be to much :)

Chris :)

5 Posts

it does light up

it has lines that look like a graph going across it

5 Posts

USA,

I cant post a pic til he gets home from school- Im at work, approx one hour. I just hope it can be repaired for at least less than half a new laptop, or he will be without for a while.. thank you for your help

5 Posts

May 6th, 2014 15:00

this site wont let me upload the picture..oh well.. I guess I may have to bring it in to a repair shop
No Events found!