Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2012 10:00

dead screen on 14month old Vostro 3450

I have a 14-month old Vostro 3450 with onboard graphics - a couple of weeks ago, the screen went nuts and unreadable, there are just horizontal and vertical lines across the screen.  I can hook it up the an external monitor using the vga port and to an external tv using hdmi.  I have been searching around, but have not found any other complaints so I am not hopeful that Dell is going to do anything under goodwill.  This is my wife's machine and she babies it.  In general, it's been good, but I am really disappointed at having to fix the screen after only 14 months of use.  Appreciate what ever info/help I can get.  Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 12th, 2012 12:00

First thing to do is reseat the cable that runs between the mainboard and display panel -- both ends.  Check to make sure it's not damaged;  if it is, replace the cable.

If that does nothing, replace the screen:

www.parts-people.com/index.php

August 23rd, 2012 20:00

Hey, so you dont feel so alone, I am in a similar boat.. I bought my vostro 3450 in Jun 2011, and a Dell tech is on their way out tomorrow to replace my screen. Same issue.. Was working fine, I got up and was away for about 2 hours. When I come back and wake it up I got the crazy screen, then nothing.. Its weird tho, the backlight still works so it always 'seems' like its going to come on, but no dice. For now I have it plugged into a cheapo monitor - the VGA and HDMI ports and the rest of the machine) work fine. You may have already done this, but a number of posters comment on the option 'packages' available with these units. Mine has the 2nd gen i5 with backlit keyboard, and like every other unit I have heard configured this way it included a 2 year on-site warranty. You might want to confirm.. Good luck!

86 Posts

August 23rd, 2012 22:00

if you are out of warranty, you can replace the LCD yourself. The bezel snaps off and then remove 6 silver screws, lean screen forward and then remove 2 back screws each side. Next remove tape on cable connector and then pull connector down to release it.  Reverse to install. takes 15 mins total

No Events found!