Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

April 28th, 2017 04:00

dell 1545 power problem. again.

looking at a friend's laptop that won't charge battery.  % does not move past 18 or 19.  got a new battery, no difference.  machine used to run with just the ac power plug only.

bought a new I/O board and have the following situations and outcimes:

1. battery in only, no power lights at all and won't run.

2. battery in, ac power on.  all i get is 3 amber and 1 blinking white light. will not power on.

3. battery out, AC power in.  no system power light.  pushing power button on/off gives repeating white power light every 5 seconds.  laptop will not power on.

4. removed battery and ac power, held power button to dissipate electrical charge, no difference with ac wall plug (same result as #3).

5 AC wall plug has always tested at 119v AC In, 19.51v DC out.

Ideas?  none of the suggestions I read in the forums have worked. 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 1st, 2017 08:00

There are no NEW batteries for an 8 year old 2009 laptop, so you must be using a refurbished battery. But with only AC adapter plugged in, it should still boot up unless the motherboard itself is faulty. Is there another AC adapter to test on the laptop without the battery installed? You might consider replacing the coin-cell CMOS battery and retest.

May 1st, 2017 10:00

Thanks for answering, Chris.  I took the machine apart again only to find that the ribbon cable for the on/off switch  wasn't in good enough.  Shouldn't the Power ligh/LEDt in the far left front come on once the AC adapter is plugged in?  The owner did say that she kept kicking the adapter wire from time to time and the part there the wire plugs into the IO board was very loose.  That board is mounted to the main board with only 2 screws, so I don't know if the motherboard is damaged or not.  It now boots ok, keeps the time ok, etc., but that CMOS battery has to be bad after all these years?  I was going to take it back to her today because to me it's not worth throwing any more money at.  Dell pulled all the support docs on fixing this problem and their solution is to buy a $300.00 motherboard to fix it.

No Events found!