Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2011 11:00

dell ATG D620 failure to boot on ac power! works fine on battery, whats wrong???

Hi all, i wondered if anybody could help me,

I have a dell atg d620 (which is technically the same as a d620 i am told) i have a problem with starting it, if you turn it on with the ac charger connected the power / wifi/ bluetooth lights flash once and it will not boot at all... screen just stays blank, disconnet the charger and it boots fine!

infact as soon as you get past the dos / dell first screen and onto the xp load screen you can connect the charger and its fine, i have tried 2 new batteries, 2 different new power adaptors, i have also tried new ram sticks and it has recently had a new hdd fitted as this failed. it is running the bext available BIOS for this system (Revison A10 which i have flashed several times now) it has also crashed out a few times once loaded asif sombody had ripped the battery and power lead off just went dead (perhaps only 3 times over the last 6 months)

I just cannot understand what the problem could be now, is there something which could be set up wrong or am i looking at a major hardware i.e. motherboard failure here? any help /. suggestions would be greatly apprechiated!

thanks in advance,

james

4 Posts

February 23rd, 2011 12:00

is the adaptor 65w or 90w. if you have 65w try to put ac adaptor of 90w .

also try to change bios with older version

2 Posts

February 25th, 2011 10:00

Hi There,

Thanks for your suggestions,

the laptop was originally running on a 65w adaptor pa12 but i have tried it on a new dell pa10 90w adsaptor and a new pa3 90w adaptor, then i tried a mates good 65 w adaptor it does exactly the same thing with all 4 so i am confident its not an adaptor issue, it also always connects ok and i can move around the plug in the jack and it never looses connection so i dont think its the socket which i see is another common cause of similar problems.

i have managed to change the bios dack to version a07 now using an old restore disc but this has made no difference :(

do you have any more ideas?

No Events found!