Re: dell inspiron 13z does not boot

Hi jjershin, cgfox, mitr63,

I haven’t heard from you regarding this issue, please send me the system service tag or express service code through this private chat, so that I can help you further.

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details.

Thanks and regards,
Senthil S
#iworkfordell.
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US / India . For Dell support videos click here.

0 Kudos
jjershin
1 Copper

After calling Dell's tech support line and having them walk me through running a diagnostic test, they shipped me a box to FedEx it to their Houston repair center and are replacing the motherboard as this laptop is under warranty, given that it's less than 2 months old.

Frankly their willingness to make this right is great, but the fact that essentially a new laptop, which was only used about 8 hours per WEEK had a mobo failure is atrocious, and it makes me wonder how long the new board will last before it too gives up the ghost.

I suspect that dell clocks these units higher than they should run, thus causing them to run hotter than normal, because this unit was kicking out a lot of heat from the left side air vents when it was on, even though we always had it on a hard countertop surface that was/is well ventilated. My guess is the overheating was affecting the connections/solder/thermal glue that holds the chips down to the board, causing a failure. Much like the old XBOX red-ring of death, but that's purely speculation on my part. 

The reason for this is that if I ran the diagnostic test (hit F2 upon boot to go into the bios menu to do that) after it had been turned on for awhile, it would complain about video chip and fan failure. But... If I let it sit for a few hours to completely cool off, it would complete the test without errors.

Still wouldn't boot up, but just wouldn't complain about fan or V Chip problems.

In any case we should get the unit back this Friday, so the turn around time from when we reported this to Dell to when we expect to have it back will be 12 days total.

0 Kudos
prateek.jain
1 Copper

Had the same problem few weeks ago.

First time i contacted dell they said they'll update my bios through USB. I didn't had a USB atm so i waited (got busy) a week to call them again.

next week some other person said that they'd need to reinstall win8 on my PC for that i am currently waiting for 10 days for dell to ship me a box so that i'll ship them my pc and then i'll get it fixed 2 weeks later. So effectively it'll take me 3 weeks to reinstall win8 on my laptop, which is ridiculous.

Even more, they cannot send me a win8 CD to reinstall untill they fix the current issue. The dell people are super friendly so i don't wanna fight with them but win8 and some of their policies is driving me crazy..  

0 Kudos
mpatnode
1 Copper

RE: dell inspiron 13z does not boot

Same thing happened to me but mine is a month out of warranty. I pulled the hard drive thinking it was bad but I had no problem reading it when connected to another computer. I'm now searching for a replacement motherboard. Seems like Dell has a motherboard problem with this model laptop.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
sangusimz
1 Copper

Hi guys, this is basically not a big issue, not even a motherboard problem, probably just a glitch that happens when running windows 8 updates.

I ran into this issue yesterday and I had no option but to fix it. It was more like I buy a pc for someone and receiving payment wont happen until the laptop is working good.

This was a 2 weeks old laptop brand new laptop that suddenly blacked out one day, I almost freeked out and lost my head and the client was putting massive pressure on me. After hours and hours of net research and support from the dell team. I almost called it quits when everything I tried was all in vain.

My head cracked and cracked as this was a nightmare for me. I am all the way in southern africa and i had no way to solve my problem by warranty as i purchased the 13z from ebay. I had a day... and only a day to solve this problem or else payment was going to be withdrawn. The last thing I wanted to hear was that i needed to replace the MB and that was out of the question, even though this was what I eventually got as an answer from Dell.

Determination is not overrated...Trust me guys. All you have to do is keep moving and moving, until you get it right. my 13z is perfectly ok and does not require a new MB neither do i think yours as well.

I am still drawing up a comprehensive answer to sort out this issue in my wordpad, i will post it, if this issue is still problem. just hit me up with a post

This is basically a Bios problem, nothing more. and i feel this could be caused by windows updates. here are the major steps to follow, this steps are being carried out on an alternative laptop,

1. Download latest Bios update for your laptop (you can follow the steps here)

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/550253/Dell-Inspiron-13z-5323.html?page=105#manual

2. Create a freedos bootable flash drive (you can find the steps on this link below)

http://www.howtogeek.com/136987/how-to-create-a-bootable-dos-usb-drive/

I used RUFUS, this is a very handy utility, download it here

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Once you create the bootable disk, copy and paste the file, e.g the current Bios Update File for a 13z is 5323A18.exe from the dell drivers website. Paste the file in the root of the RUFUS bootable flash drive. e.g  E:/

It does not have to be in any folder.

DO NOT DELETE ANY FILES IN THE RUFUS BOOT DRIVE.

These are the 2 major steps to follow.

3. Plug the flash drive on the usb your malfunctioning laptop and turn on the laptop. Make sure you select to boot from the flash drive that you just plugged in, If not listed, make sure to select Legacy boot option and restart, usb should be there thereafter.

Once it boots from the flash drive, you will face a screen similar to that of a command prompt with C:/ address root

DO NOT WORRY IT IS NOT THE C:/ FOR YOUR FILES IN YOUR HARD DRIVE, JUST A TEMPORAL STORAGE

ALSO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR POWER PLUGGED IN, YOU CANNOT UPDATE WITHOUT A POWER SOURCE ATTACHED

Now all you do is

in the black screen, type DIR, this will list down all the files in the flash drive, remeber we had placed the 5323A18.exe in the root of the flash drive, this will be listed down as well

NOW, type 5323A18.exe and press enter

This will start the BIOS update process.

Once this is done, Walaaaaaaaaa

Get into your Bios and make sure that it is updated and also check to see if your boot settings are set correctly. You could simply just restore default settings by pressing F9 and then saving and rebooting your machine.

THIS will solve your problem, no matter which dell machine you are using. If you haa a booting problem.

DONT WASTE YOU MONEY MAKING PHONE CALLS, THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO. PERIOD. AND DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY BUYING NEW MOTHERBOARDS. BE DETERMINED TO CONQUER THIS PROBLEM YOURSELF. IF I CAN SOLVE HIS PROBLEM IN A DAY, WHY CANT YOU???

STOP WASTING YOUR TIME RUNNING DIAGNOSTICS....

ALL THE BEST

0 Kudos
Nickshorty
1 Copper

Hey I've done everything you said and it still says Operation System not found. Any other ideas or should I just contact Dell?

0 Kudos
fosterssss
1 Copper

same problem here, I have tried everything to reload the OS back onto this 5323 to get it to boot up.

Nothing seems to work, we got an external CD drive, loaded the factory disc in it but that did nothing.

I have had problems with this laptop since it was new, Dell has fixed it twice and now that it's out of

warranty they have offered to fix it yet again but for $135 this time.  I feel that would be throwing good

money after bad because I have lost all faith in this laptop now. 

0 Kudos
mexos
1 Copper

There's a backup link to Dell Inspiron manual - www.manualsbase.com/manual/188563/laptop/dell/inspiron_5323/

0 Kudos
Peter306
1 Copper

I have 13z 5323 model, it came originally retail with 8GB of RAM, 2 x 4 GB , it would not boot, randomly give me loud beeps and nothing, running diagnostics via F12 boot options sometimes would tell me cpu or ram or even hdd tests fail but sometimes it would pass ,  very inconsistent tests, BIOS were showing HDD was on and recognized I knew it was working properly, I never had "operation system not found" messages , it seemed like during normal boot BIOS would fail and I would get blinking marker with no response from keyboard, I did some research couldnt find anything that would work for me, even USB BIOS update method failed - it would boot USB but could not access BIOS during the process, basically I have realized  that there is no access to BIOS during any type of boot other than F12, then Ive decided to remove RAM from 1 socket , try to test it 1 at a time, then boom laptop boots into Windows like nothing happened,   So I tested my RAM modules 1 at a time in both sockets and they were both running fine, it seems to me that there is some kind of major RAM operating problem, either 8 GB of ram is too much or using both RAM slots is creating a major problem for the hardware, I suggest opening back cover where RAM is and remove 1 module if you have 2 , or switch sockets if you have 1 module and do proper RAM testing ,  right now my laptop been working just fine running with only one 4GB RAM module

0 Kudos
praskrish
1 Copper

Senthil 

Can you please help. I am getting an error OPERATION SYSTEM NOT FOUND. 

Prasanna

0 Kudos