Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2016 08:00

dell inspiron 15 5000 series wont play games

I have been trying to play Neverwinter NIghts on my laptop for a few days now and every time I launch the game, I get  notification that the resolution is not optimal and then I get a message saying "the game has stopped" I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game twice with no sign of a fix. I called dell and they said there were corrupt files but that I had to pay them $250+ for the software warranty. I have been playing this game for months and it has never been a problem until now. Games are usually slow but they never crash this badly. Does anyone know what I can do or do I just have to pay out a bunch of money? Also there are problems with the headphones jack sometimes not playing audio through headphones, but through the regular speakers, any fix to that? I'm not happy that it has so many problems already (its only like 8 months old). Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 11th, 2016 05:00

This is an old game and may have trouble with the widescreen resolution of your system;  see below for some others who've solved the problem.

www.gog.com/.../fix_for_resolution_issues_on_laptop_nvidia_users

On the other issue, have you tried more than one pair of headphones?  If so and the problem occurs with all of them, the audio jack likely need to be replaced (in all likelihood meaning the mainboard).  That should be covered under warranty unless the jack is physically broken (in which case they'll call it accidental damage).

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 11th, 2016 09:00

It isn't the driver - try adjusting the display resolution to 800x600 or 1024 X 768 (yes, you'll get only a partial screen image, but this game is old enough it may not play nice with widescreen resolution).

4 Posts

I will have to install the nivida driver which may actually help. Will update is not fixed. Thanks!

4 Posts

I cannot install that driver because it cant find compatible hardware. I'm not really sure what else to do

4 Posts

August 11th, 2016 10:00

I tried both and it still crashed and gave me a notification telling me what the optimal resolution is. I changed it to that resolution and still crashed. I honestly dont think its a problem with the game being old because I have played it on this laptop since january and it just now started acting up

No Events found!