Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 9th, 2015 11:00

dell inspiron 15 7537 LCD Panel broken

Hi,

I was normally closing my laptop lid but the right hinge part was separated from the back panel and i can see that the screw which was fitted with the hinge to the back panel was came off and it was broken. I have highlighted this in my attachments.

I was immediately rushed to the dell authorized service center but the guy was saying that the entire lid which comes as a single unit( includes entire display, hinge and everything) to be replaced. I was not so convinced because the problem is only with the back panel (white one) because the screw was separated from the plastic part. 

I called the customer care but they are very rude and was not giving proper answer. They said whatever the support guys at the authorized service center says is to be done and they are asking me to know which part to be replaced!!

That is strange. Can anyone please help me whether is it really required to replace entire lid or just the upper panel?

Thank you.

1 Attachment

1 Message

October 27th, 2016 22:00

I had the exact same experience. I also noticed that the DELL social Medial Support (DELL-Hema) has very conveniently stopped posting once the issue seemed to be a DELL manufacturing problem and not "customer induced".

I will be pursuing this tomorrow. Hope you all do the same.

September 9th, 2015 11:00

Hi 

Is it a touchscreen or a non - touchscreen. 

If its a touchscreen then the entire LCD needs to be replaced. If its non-touchscreen then only the panel is required.

Regards

September 10th, 2015 12:00

Thanks for your response Hema. It is touch screen.

1 Message

February 10th, 2016 13:00

I also have a Dell 7537 with the exact same problem.  Dell was no help at all and told me to visit my local computer store.  They are quoting $250 parts and labor for a used screen assembly or $398 for a new.  I love my laptop but the darn thing is not even two years old.   Is this a common problem with all touch screen models?  I'm not kid, the laptop pretty much has remained at home and is well taken care of.  Very frustrating.

1 Message

February 23rd, 2016 11:00

I have the exact same problem with my Dell Inspiron 7537. It is a 16 month old laptop. Now, the warranty is over, so, the dell guys are asking for money to repair it. There is no phyiscal damage done to the device and this problems seems so happen more frequently to many people. Dell should definitely do something about this.

94 Posts

April 16th, 2016 09:00

I have a similar issue with this laptop. I handle the laptop with utmost care.
Today morning I was about turn on the laptop, so I was opening the lid, I heard a minor cracking sound. I checked the rear side - the right hinge made the sound and a gap can be seen between bottom plastic base and upper metal body (palm rest) near the right hinge.
Here is the image of it.

Also check the left side, to differentiate.

I think it's starting to show the initial signs of hinge issue.
I talked with dell tech. After looking at this pictures they are saying the laptop is 2yr old, it's normal wear and tear and they are not going to cover under warranty (I have warranty with accidental coverage).
Does it say that after 2 yr of use the hinge is going to break. How on earth it can be a normal wear and tear. Even a layman who uses laptop can understand it's something not usual. And another thing I always try not to open/close the lid frequently - may be twice or thrice a week. So it's definitely not normal wear & tear.

After reading this discussion, there is no doubt that it's manufacturing defect and result of using poor standard material, in spite of the fact the price dell took was premium for this laptop.
It was 81000 INR in Feb 2014, i.e, around 1310 USD.

I think dell must be dragged to court for such malpractices.

2 Posts

June 9th, 2016 08:00

I am having the same issue but it is still in the beginning stage, the screen is slowly separating from the backpanel. :(. Does anyone know i can prevent this from further deteriorating?

94 Posts

June 9th, 2016 11:00

if it's under warranty, ask dell to fix it. If they say it's normal wear n tear; ask them to check their own community site about this issue. Just don't let them make you listen to them.

June 17th, 2016 05:00

This has happened to me too after 1.5 year of gentle and careful usage.Very frustrating!

I contacted the technical support and they gave me a price tag of 650 euros in order to replace the whole part!!! (UK only 1 year warranty btw...compared to 2 years in the rest of Europe...and from what I read here...Dell thinks of it as a normal wear!!!!).

There was no chance I was going to give them so much money for such a silly and expensive solution so I investigated the problem myself.

I compared how hard each hinge was screwed and it was obvious that the right hinge that caused me the issue was a lot lot lot tighter than the left. Obviously the Dell (untrained?) personnel has no torque tool and they screw the hidges randomly.

So I unscrewed the right hinge enough and glued the part of the panel that was taken apart from the hidge with a special metal to plastic glue.

So I fixed my laptop with 647 euros less than the Dell's provided (crazy) solution.

I am going to think twice before buying a Dell laptop again. Every serious laptop manufacturer should take care of the tightness of hidges and the endurance of the panel parts attached.

Sad. Very sad.

94 Posts

June 17th, 2016 11:00

It's very common problem with entry to mid-premium range laptops; you won't find this exact issue with business/premium models. The manufacturers do this intentionally, so that for that either we pay them to fix, or buy a new one. They can simply make the plastic mount points 2 or 3 mm more thick, and the problem will be solved, but they wont.

1 Message

July 14th, 2016 14:00

I have the same issue,  luckily i was bought a 2 year warranty extension and now wait for technician to fix the problem. Also in a while you will have problem to  Ethernet port

1 Message

July 16th, 2016 13:00

Wow. The same thing just happened to me on my 7537. I do not travel with this laptop and probably just open and close it a few times a day. it is only 1.5 years old as well. I closed the lid and the right hinge popped. The touch screen separated from the display on that side. Horrible quality. I have been buying Dell computers for close to twenty years. Not any more. They have really become a poor choice.  For now I pushed the broken hinge behind the lid, it won't close anymore and can close the lid with the only the left hinge working.  I have an extended warranty from my credit card so I will see if they will pay to have it repaired. Dell should be ashamed of themselves. 

94 Posts

July 16th, 2016 21:00

We, all, should email the link to this thread to Dell, multiple times.
And whenever, we contact dell, refer them this thread.

Also we should post pictures of broken area of laptop whenever we post the problem here.

94 Posts

October 29th, 2016 06:00

It's very evident that the problem starts when the hinge screw mount points are cracked due to cheap material or intentional design defects.

1 Message

November 23rd, 2016 23:00

I am also facing the same issue .

Dell might have done purposly this bluder design . Atleast they would have design to use  screw  instead of fuse hinges to LCD panel .

I would have fixed with $14 expenses.

No Events found!