umairnaqvi73
1 Nickel

dell inspiron 15r special edition windows key

My recently bought Dell Inspiron 15R special edition hard disk is upgraded to 256 GB SSD. I have cleaned installed Windows 8 but my product key that I have already decrypted from my previous installation does not work. What should I do? Please advice.

0 Kudos
8 Replies

RE: dell inspiron 15r special edition windows key

Hi umairnaqvi73,

Did you install the operating system using the OEM disk?

Did you try updating the BIOS after the installation of the operating system?

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US CustomersIndia CustomersFor Dell support videos click here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
umairnaqvi73
1 Nickel

I dont have an oem install disk. I have downloaded an image of Windows 8 64 bit from internet. I had the key from my previous HD. I did not update the bios. would you please guide me why i need to update bios and how to update it.

rregards,

umair

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Updating the BIOS won't help.  Only the OEM copy of Windows is licensed to your system - you'll need to order a Dell OEM copy of Windows (which will use the product key embedded into the system board).

In the US, see below - outside the US, call Dell.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/476.2-0-requesting-a-microsoft-windows-reinstallation-cddvd-from-dell.aspx

0 Kudos
umairnaqvi73
1 Nickel

There are no authorised dealers that are providing oem windows cds. can you provide a link where I can fownload an image.

regards

,umair

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

There is no place to download an image -- contact the reseller from whom you purchased the system. 

0 Kudos
umairnaqvi73
1 Nickel

Local Dell authorised dealers refused to provide any installation media which is extremely unfortunate. Today i have bought a brand new Windows 8 Professional version license and media. Setup says "The product key entered does not match any of the windows images available for installation. Enter a different product key". It is extremely annoying that i have to bought a new $140 License and even then i am not able to work. Please advice.

Regards,

Umair

0 Kudos

Hi Umair,

Since you have already made the purchase of the product key from Microsoft, I would suggest you to get in touch with them so that they can help you with the activation of the product.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US CustomersIndia CustomersFor Dell support videos click here.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Is what you purchased a full license or an upgrade?

0 Kudos