Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

January 4th, 2015 16:00

dell inspiron 5547 Touchpad problem

dell 5547/win 8.1 touchpad left click not responding correctly randomly, not all times, left click not work and both clicks respond as right click sometimes once or twice a week….or two or three times a day.

latest driver updated and also driver uninstall and re-install
OS format and reinstall but problem still there.

software or hardware problem ?

any suggestion?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 6th, 2015 00:00

Hi Kapadia,

Good work on troubleshooting. I would suggest you to connect a external USB mouse and check if the issue reoccurs.

Also, Boot into the BIOS (F2 during startup) and check if the buttons work correctly in the BIOS.

3 Posts

January 6th, 2015 01:00

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. I simply uninstalled the synaptics driver and downloaded it and installed it. It solved the problem for me. Maybe you can try it to see if it works for you.

58 Posts

February 22nd, 2015 18:00

This worked  -  DELL  has  a terrible touchpad  - this is  a hardware issue ONLY that affects  the 3000 , 4000, 5000 and 7000 series .  I bought a protective screen from the dollar store for a dollar, this worked where all software solutions had failed.

• alpha-onezero
    Posted by alpha-onezero
    Verified Answer
    Verified by  pelosap

Hi everyone!

Like you I have been having all the same touchpad issues. At first I thought it was ESD and troubleshot that for a few days. I finally concluded that it had nothing to do with ESD and moved on to possible driver issues. I installed every driver pack I could find, modified them, turned off driver signing in order to install the OEM drivers, used Windows 7, 8, 8.1, Ubuntu etc... but to no avail.

From the onset, some sort of physical problem seemed to be the most logical conclusion. The question was just what! I couldn't believe that synaptics could make such an aweful touchpad that was incapable of actually working. I made the assumption moving forward that the issue had to be caused by something small. During my last clean install of Windows 8.1 I noticed that the default windows driver caused the touchpad to be EXTREMELY sensitive. You'll notice that once you install Dell's latest driver the cursor movement calms down considerably. The touchpad is still extremely sensitive, the driver is just taking all that raw input and generalizing it into a more manageable cursor. Conclusion, the touchpad is too sensitive.

I compared this premise with my previous experiences and found that in large part they supported each other. My touchpad would typically freak out after a lot of 2 finger scrolling or a lot of gesture movements.  In fact it would stop working entirely if I blew hot breath on it. Conclusion, I needed to desensitize/protect the touchpad... but how!?

In my first attempt I simply took clear packing tape and completely covered the touchpad. Not expecting anything I ran my finger across it and found that the cursor movement felt much more controllable. I used it for 30 minutes like this with only a few minor issues. (My touchpad ALWAYS freaks out within the first 15 mintues so for me this was a big deal!) I laid a few more layers of tape down and the functionality kept getting better and better. Since I was getting better performance with more layers of tape and because clear packing tape doesn't look great stuck to your laptop I wanted to find a better solution. I needed a thick tough plastic that I would stick to the surface of the touchpad and that didn't require me to use multiple layers of it. Conclusion, use 3M Laminating plastic.

In this second attempt I disassembled the laptop and removed the touchpad from the palm rest area. I used a Magic Eraser pad with a little water and very little soap to clean the surface of the touchpad. After it was clean and dry I cut an oversized square piece of laminating plastic and placed the touchpad face down on the sticky side of the plastic. I then took a razorblade and carefully trimmed off the excess by tracing around the edge of the touchpad. The result was a perfectly sized piece of plastic on top of the touchpad. I reinstalled the touchpad in the palm rest and reassembled the computer. (Please take note that there is a bit of grounding wire tape on the rear of the touchpad that must be reapplied during installation.)

I've been using it like this for 3 days now with ZERO problems!!! I hope Dell takes notice of this post and comes up with an actual solution. The black surface of the touchpad is itself just plastic stuck onto the touchpads circuitry using an adhesive. It would seem like the simple solution would be for them to replace it with a thicker more robust piece. One thing I did notice is that the 3M plastic is more rough than the original touchpad surface which makes it hard to drag your finger across it. When I first started my finger kept skipping on the touchpad which caused the cursor to jump around, however after a few hours it smoothed out nicely. You may have better luck using a different plastic such as a cellphone screen protector since it's designed to have fingers touching it.

Anyways I really hope this has helped you guys. I have been just as cranky about this as you and I still think Dell needs to OFFICIALLY do something about this problem! (DELL PLEASE TAKE NOTE!) In the mean time I hope this gets you guys up and running and able to enjoy your laptops once again! Good luck!

58 Posts

February 24th, 2015 03:00

03/14/2015   

After  all this time the protective screen cover has been proven to be the only solution to this weird touchpad problem that affects the inspiron 3000, 4000, 5000, and 7000 series.  I have the  5547.

1 Message

April 27th, 2015 16:00

The same issue. Left button is working as right on the touch panel.

If I open Touch Pad and change some settings, it can work some time.

What's going on, DELL ?

It seems software issue. PLEASE FIX that in your drivers!

Tomorrow I will send this laptop to your service. If that will be not fixed, return my money.

7 Posts

April 28th, 2015 11:00

Hello,

Is your touchpad works good? I have same issue and I call to dell to many times. 3 time technician came to my house and one time I send my system to support center but I have still this issue.

Technician change touchpad once after they change hard drive with new inbuilt OS after that Still I have same issue so I wants to ask you Is your problem solve? 

please let me know if you have any solution? 

58 Posts

May 5th, 2015 20:00

Buy a phone protective screen, trim it to fit the touchpad, place it on top of the touchpad and you will never have another issue. Thanks.

7 Posts

May 6th, 2015 13:00

I did that it also not works. Actually I get another laptop from dell in replacement due to this problem and in new laptop problem is same. I just use three days laptop and touch pad issue occur.

sorry to say but i'm not agree with you how can it works. problem is not persistent it occur for 10 mints and then it resolve automatic another day same problem occur and then after restart problem is solved how can be problem in touch pad?

58 Posts

September 30th, 2015 20:00

Hardware
Finally resolved this issue by installing myself another touchpad which I ordered from China.  The instructions on how to replace it are shown in detail on youtube.  It has been over a month now and zero issues. I purposely wetted my hands several times to see if it would behave erratically and am happy to report that it works great - finally!!!

28 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 23:00

Please do tell me, what  TouchPad is this?  I might like to replace it with a non-Synaptics TouchPad also, I just need one that fits nicely.

Dell should do a recall on their Inspirons because of this.

A technician is coming tomorrow to replace mine, despite me not having warranty (I was promised it would be fixed even if the warranty expires, and I had to argue a TON despite me having proof.  Dell ***!).

I have a Dell Inspiron 5547.

7 Posts

December 4th, 2015 10:00

Actually my leptop problem is solved. Technician came and he re plece new mother board and after that my leptop working fine since last 6 months

10 Posts

October 28th, 2016 12:00

I bought a Dell Inspiron 5555 in May 2016. It has the same problems: overly sensitive and the right click-left click issue. Clearly Dell has no addressed the problem. Also, the most recent drivers won't install on my system, so the touchpad icon doesn't show up in the hidden icons box on the taskbar. Without the icon, I can't change gesture settings, which means the screen zooms in and out wildly at times. Dell support wants me to "refresh" Windows 8.1, which means every nonMicrosoft app I have will have to be reinstalled. As if! I think I'll send it back to have a new touchpad installed.

No Events found!