stavos_1989
6 Indium

dell inspiron laptop (cant remember model number, maybe 1545!

hi all, just a quick question, since yesterday every time I've been turning on my laptop, I have been getting a warning message saying "windows has detected a problem with the hard disk", I've tried rebooting several times & also bringing up the boot options by pressing f12 when booting up, is there any way possible i can fix this without replacing the hard drive? I am willing to do anything to save the hard drive that is currently in, i have no data on the laptop as it was completely wiped a few months ago, so Im not too fussed about having to do something & losing my documents, i would just by a hard drive and get it replaced as it seems easy enough but i would rather save myself the hassle and just try to fix it, its well out of warranty as it is around 5 or 6 years old, also forgot to mention around 3 years ago it completely went off, would not turn on or anything, so i just left it sitting under my bed as i had another laptop at the time, then by chance about 4 months ago i tried to turn it on and it worked haha just did a quick reboot and it was as good as new, now i have started getting this message, if anyone could give me some advice i would really appreciate it, thanks... Steven

0 Kudos
16 Replies
stavos_1989
6 Indium

RE: dell inspiron laptop (cant remember model number, maybe 1545!

also, forgot to mention that ive ran disk checks etc & everything seems fine, so im just hoping its something simple, could it have something to do with the amount of time i spend on it? its on quite easily 10 hours a day as i take it to work (i have a boring job) so thinking the hard drive could be toasted but hopefully im wrong!

0 Kudos
stavos_1989
6 Indium

??????????????????????????????????

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Have you in fact run a full hard drive diagnostic (f12 at powerup - do the extended test, NOT just the 10-minute one)?

If so, what were the results?

The test will take about two hours to complete.

0 Kudos
stavos_1989
6 Indium

im not sure i think my sister in law done that today when she was trying to fix it, i will give it a shot just incase though, could you give me a few steps to follow me thru please

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/f12-preboot-diagnostics/

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
stavos_1989
6 Indium

Hi Phillip. Now i can not even turn the laptop on. When pressing f12 on start up and going to repair computer, its running a test then a few moments later a message is appearing with loud beeping. I would attach a photo but i am unable to on my phone. I think im just going to buy a new hard drive and get a technician to fit it how much could i get a hard drive for of the specific model laptop? Or do all dell laptops have the same hard drive? Regards. Steven
0 Kudos
stavos_1989
6 Indium

Here is the message i am receiving. error code - 2000-0146 hard drive 0 - self test log contains previous errors. the given error code and message can be used by dell technical support to help diagnose the problem is the hard drive completely broken?
0 Kudos
8 Xenon

It'll take any standard 2.5" SATA notebook drive (9.5 mm or 7 mm with an adapter).  That said, a bad drive won't produce beeping - something else other than just the drive is bad.

To interpret the beep codes, see here:

http://blog.parts-people.com/2014/06/27/dell-inspiron-1545-beep-codes-diagnostic-indicators/

0 Kudos
stavos_1989
6 Indium

Its only beeping when trying to run a diagnostic test. I cant get onto the laptop what so ever now. Trying to reboot and its just staying on a black screen prompting me to turn it off manually
0 Kudos