Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 4th, 2012 20:00

dell inspiron m5030 wont boot, 7 post beeps continuously

dell inspiron m5030 wont boot, 7 post beeps continuously, no screen, doesn't respond. I tried to boot up in safe mode, but it did not work.

6 Posts

January 27th, 2014 19:00

Hello everyone. My husband's laptop had the same issue right at warranty.  After trying several different fixes I contacted Dell and of course since his warranty was expired (by 2 months) they wanted money to talk to me.  I informed them about this forum and that there are many with the same problem and even found one entry from a Dell Rep stating it was a known problem with this laptop model.  What happens is the mother board gets hot and the soilder goes soft on some of the connections.  Sometimes individuals can get lucky and reheat the laptop which might cause a reconnection - but it is usually only temporary.  After arguing with Dell and pushing the issues continually that this is a known problem.  They finally agreed to fix the problem by replacing the mother board with an upgraded one - at no cost.  They sent me a box and I sent it in.  The only problem I had was we lost all data on the laptop and I had to re-install my software.  I would contact Dell and tell them that this has been a known problem for over a year and You know Dell has replaced many individuals mother board on other M5030 laptops with the same issue.  Keep pursuing this.  Make them upgrade your mother board because you will have the same problem.  Note:  if you can get in before you hand it over - backup your data.....

1 Message

January 27th, 2014 21:00

It is really pathetic that Dell has refused to recall this. Owners shouldn't have to resort to these potential remedies like taking it apart or wrapping it in a blanket.

To not last 3 years is ridiculous. I won't recommend buying Dell to anyone I come in contact with, that's for sure. Now, I'm staring at an unexpected expense , as well as time consuming backing up all my data for transfer to a new non-Dell laptop.

Today, a company's reputation can take a big hit if consumers used social media. This is our right, so have at it people. I'll also report this to the BBB.

January 28th, 2014 05:00

Not just pathetic, but dangerous!

I've looked into this problem since mine has started doing the 7 beeps/not starting up and have heard of one person locally trying it that set fire to the blanket. The fire service was called, but the fire was put out by the owner. The owner was unhurt, but badly shaken. Fire crew suggested contacting the UK's BBC Watchdog programme to highlight the potential danger. 

Dell REALLY need to sort this out. They can recommend official (and costly if out of warranty) repairs as much as they want but people will always look for a cheap repair. Someone, somewhere will try this trick and get hurt. What will Dell suggest then? 

2 Posts

January 28th, 2014 10:00

Apparently they didn't like that being out there, because the post is gone!

1 Message

January 28th, 2014 13:00

I recieved the seven beeps of death back in December and the computer is only two years old.  I am very grateful for everyones posts and am hopeful that the quick fix works.  This was our first adventure in Dell products and if this is how Dell opererates with known issues then my family of five will not being buying any Dell products from here on.

January 28th, 2014 14:00

What post is missing, Sunbay1? 

4 Posts

February 5th, 2014 05:00

Can you tell me where you contacted Dell as I have an issue even finding the correct department to complain to!

I've had my laptop 2 years, kept in mint condition and now does not work!!

Dell should be repairing these - asking to return them if there is a known fault.

1 Message

March 18th, 2014 07:00

i  did that  but without any good >>>as the  CPU  fan donot run

1 Message

April 22nd, 2014 17:00

I have just had the same problem with this model.  It was hot this week so must have caused it.  I got the 7 beeps.  took it to the local shop who said it was a processor/motherboard problem but without stripping it down can't say what is actually wrong.  They took out the hard drive for me as I was going to get a new laptop.  I have just found this post.  Would dell look at it now I have removed the hard drive? I didn't mind buying a new one but now it seems its a fault I don't think I should have to.  If the fault is common they should have been recalled!

1 Message

May 30th, 2014 12:00

One suggested soution on the 7 beep I have heard is on YouTube. Basically they show you how to remove the motherboard and describe how to preheat and place it in your oven to reflow the solder connections. Did I do it no. Why I have been in electronics since 67. Familiar with PCB technology from one sided to multilayer PCB design, assembly, etc. This is an offshore fabrication or manufacturing assembly/soldering issue. Dell should stand behind there design and product, with all the fed and local gov contracts. I am a disabled veteran and can't afford the cost to repair, upgrade or talk to them. I know I will get the run around in and blow over the side stepping and word smithing via online.

If I had the money for a motherboard I would look at a way to upgrade the CPU/MB. Why pay and end up with the same thing when you can get better performance. Went to Computer Geeks in Oceanside. Those people are as worthless as ti.ts on a boar.

If you are reading Dell, your falling down on this one. Don't be like Obama and side step your inadequacies, the consequences are threateningly real. You are smarter.and more knowledgeable than that unqualif... Substitute character removed as per TOU>

Semper Fi!,

Thmcarlsbad

2 Posts

August 26th, 2014 13:00

Halunen & Associates is investigating Dell Inspiron M5030 Laptop computers for a possible motherboard defect which causes the system to crash producing a seven beep error. If you have experienced similar problems with your laptop computer, please contact us toll free at: 866-523-8533 or at our online Contact Form.  (Advertising Material) 

2 Posts

August 26th, 2014 13:00

Halunen & Associates is investigating Dell Inspiron M5030 Laptop computers for a possible motherboard defect which causes the system to crash producing a seven beep error. If you have experienced similar problems with your laptop computer, please contact us toll free at: 866-523-8533 or at our online Contact Form.  (Advertising Material)

2 Posts

September 9th, 2014 20:00

My Inspiron M5030 just came down with the same malady I see so many others have experienced with this machine. To wit, out of the clear blue sky, pc will not boot. Just sits giving 7 beeps every few seconds. Like others, I contacted Dell via online chat. Twice. Got the same story twice: Dell never heard of this issue with the M5030. Yet, both immediately quoted me $269 plus tax to repair. When I questioned both techs about their never having heard of the issue, both insisted Dell has never had a bad report from the Inspiron M5030. I did suggest they might want to either visit this forum or just google the issue. It would prove educational for them.  I also told them about the temporary work around I found online that actually works - it will get the machine to boot. Not a permanent fix. Next time you turn it on, same issue. So far the "fix" has worked for me 3 times. Long enough for me to copy a bunch of important data files. Both professed to have never heard of that technique.

The "fix" for anyone interested in trying it, is: Wrap the pc in a thick blanket. Turn it on. Let it sit there & beep while securely wrapped for about 10 minutes. It will get hot.  Unwrap, turn it off and immediately turn it back on. It boots and runs normally until next time you shut it down.

285 Posts

September 10th, 2014 00:00

The seven beeps on Inspiron M 5030 could mean the processor issue, try these steps. take out the AC adapter and the battery , then hold down the power button of the computer for 15-20 seconds. Then plug in the AC adapter and battery and try to power up the computer.

4 Posts

September 10th, 2014 16:00

Ok here is the fix for Dell Inspiron m5030.   YouTube it.  Took everything off mother board.  Ram, Professor, wireless card,  dvd, hard drive just the motherboard.  Pre heated the oven to 385  and baked it on flat surface for 10 min.  Let cool for  20 min then put back together and works like a charm.  What they say is bad soldering on North bridge.

No Events found!