Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2015 14:00

dell laptop cannot start up properly

Dell Inspiron laptop. When I on the laptop, the laptop is able to load initially, when the screen shows the Dell logo. However when it comes to the part where it load at the Windows XP logo screen, the bar below the logo keeps moving showing that it is loading but after 20 minutes, my laptop is still showing the same screen. I cant reach my XP account page. How do I solve this?

April 4th, 2015 17:00

Hello PaulaBrewer, This is one of the most common "initial descriptions" users probably give when first observing computer issues!  Some variation of, 'Well, it started up just fine yesterday.' or 'The last time I turned it on (more than a month ago) it worked Okay.' or something similar.

A few additional facts would be useful to ANYONE troubleshooting this issue with you:

How old is the computer?  (in years probably, or months possibly)

How often is it used?  (daily, 2 times a week, 1 time a month, etc.)

What model laptop is it?  (Inspiron, XPS, Latitude, etc.)

Did you do anything different or unusual last time you used it?  (download ANYTHING, install anything, loan the laptop to a "friend")

Were you the last person to use it?  (or is there a child, teenager, other relative or neighbor involved)

What programs do you most commonly use on it?  (Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Skype, etc.)

Is the laptop making any noises such as beeps, buzzes, "grinding", ticking, etc.?

Do you have "Back-up" CDs or "Recovery" or "Restore" CDs/DVDs made for the laptop?  (these are typically created IMMEDIATELY after receiving the computer, and sometimes made after that [later on] if major software updates are made to the computer.)

*** NOTE: *** - If a Dell Recovery CD or DVD was provided with the laptop, then and only then is it acceptable NOT to have made a set of Restore CDs yourself.  This is commonly covered in 'Getting Started' type documents - or 'Getting to know your new computer' which is MUST read material!

Is there anything else which could possibly be shared to assist 'the troubleshooters'?

What is your comfort level with troubleshooting?  In other words, if someone provides step-by-step instructions including items such as "1.) Start the laptop in "Safe Mode" by pressing before the Windows XP logo appears" , would you be Okay with that? - - - Be candid, because it will help lessen the overall frustration factor IF we know how to guide you.

Respectfully yours, one of third-party, unaffiliated and volunteer 'The Troubleshooters'

No Events found!