Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 4th, 2013 09:00

dell laptop restarts after shutdown with blue screen flash - Vista OS 32 bit

My Vostro 1520 boots up right after it shuts down, but right before it boots up a blue screen flashes for a quick second.

I tried following:

1. System Restore - did not help;
  2. Ran PC Checkup and do not see any troubles

Please help to solve the issue. Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 4th, 2013 09:00

Hi PositiveJolt,

Please update the BIOS and the Video card driver for your system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the operating system, and then download the BIOS from the BIOS section and Video card drivers listed from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, I’d suggest you to run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.
  1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
  3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press to begin the PSA.
  4. Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes.

September 4th, 2013 21:00

I did as you suggested below:

1. Updated and flushed BIOS;
  2. Downloaded Video Card driver for Intel;
  3. Did run Diagnostics test from`` One Time Boot menu``;
  4. The system showed no errors;
  5. I tried shutting it down and it shut down, but then  it Flickered blue screen with something written in white and booted up again...

What else can we try?

September 6th, 2013 10:00

Hello Ravi Chandra,

Thanks for your suggetion above, but it di not help in shutting down the system, and the blue screen still shows up for a quick second after shut down and before boot up. Can we somehow find out what is written on it, since that might explain the error?

In case you cannot help please forward this issue to an appropriate person.

Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 6th, 2013 11:00

Hi PositiveJolt,

I would suggest you to run the online Dell PC diagnostics on your system from the link below and let me know the error codes.

1.       Open the link http://dell.to/14YjKb2

2.       Select ‘Blue Screen Analyzer’ under Software.

3.       Click on ‘Run Diagnostics’ button.

4.       Let me know the results.

The Blue Screen Analyzer identifies errors in system files that can trigger a blue screen at startup. Based upon the results of this analysis, you may choose to run a troubleshooter to fix these errors. The first time you run this diagnostic, it will take about 10 minute.

September 6th, 2013 22:00

Apparently I had to change an option in Control Pannel in order to freeze the Blue screen to get the Stop error numbers.

Here they are:

***Stop: 0x000 000 0A (0x000 00 2F4, 0x000 000 02, 0x000 000 01, 0x821d7fe9)

Please advise.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 8th, 2013 08:00

Hi PositiveJolt,

The issue may be due to bad driver installed on the system. I would suggest you to back up the data and restore the system to factory state. Please follow the steps mentioned below for performing the pc restore on a Windows 7 computer. Please let me know if you have different operating system installed.

1. Back up all the data from the computer before proceeding to next steps.
  2. Unplug all the devices including your printer, camera and memory stick.
  3. Restart the computer.
  4. Press the "F8" key repeatedly as soon as you see the Dell logo. Do not stop until you see the Advanced Boot Options screen.
  5. Press the down arrow and choose "Repair your computer." Hit "Enter."
  6. Select the keyboard layout "US" from the drop-down menu and click "OK."
  7. Log into your account as an administrator. Type in your password. Click "OK."
  8. Click "Dell Factory Image Restore" at the bottom of the options.
  9. Click "Next" in the window that opens.
  10. Click to check the box next to "Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition" to confirm and click "Next." This will generate an operation that will take about 45 minutes to complete. Click "Finish" when the process is complete to restart your computer.

Please let me know if this helps.

September 9th, 2013 10:00

Hello Ravi,

As you can see from the subject line I have Windows Vista OS 32 bit installed on my Dell. What are the Instructions in my case. Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 11th, 2013 20:00

Hi PositiveJolt,

Sorry for the confusion. Please follow the same steps for Windows vista operating system.

1 Message

August 18th, 2014 14:00

Why is my start dst short test fail the error code 1000-014

No Events found!