Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 4th, 2017 22:00

dell xps 15 laptop fans still running when lid is closed

this has happened several times now where i would close the lid on my laptop and place it into my bag and come back to it with the fan running full blast and the laptop being very hot when i open up the laptop i can see the screen is still off but the power button led is still on can someone help me fix this

2K Posts

May 4th, 2017 23:00

Hi BACONLOVER51,

What is the exact system model?

When did the issue start? What is the current OS version installed on the system?

If the system was working fine earlier, then perform a system restore to restore the machine to an earlier point where it was working fine.

If the system warranty has expired, then download the service manual here - http://dell.to/1n3X2po - and open the chassis and clean the airvents and fan assembly with a can of compressed air or a small vacuum cleaner and reapply the thermal grease for the heatsink. This should resolve the overheat issue.

Update the BIOS from the above link and restart and check for the sleep issue with lid closed.

If the issue persists, restart and check in safe mode.

Uninstall the existing video drivers and check if the system goes to sleep and stays in sleep until you resume with the lid closed. Then reinstall the video drivers from the vendor site.

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

May 5th, 2017 01:00

the model of the laptop is dell xps 9550 the issue started maybe a month or two ago, The current OS i am using is windows 10 and i have updated the BIOS to the latest one but the problem still persist

2K Posts

May 5th, 2017 01:00

Hi BACONLOVER51,

Thank you for the update.

Kindly test the other suggested steps in my previous post to isolate the sleep issue. 

If the system is still overheating, we can collect the system for repair as per your warranty.

May 5th, 2017 03:00

ive sent this into the microsoft store where i bought it and they performed those same test and the problem still pursist

2K Posts

May 6th, 2017 00:00

Hi BACONLOVER51,

Thank you for the update.

Kindly private message me your phone#, email and complete address and we can collect the system for repair and replace the required parts. 

Also, ensure you backup all data on the system, since the team might reinstall the OS on the system at the depot.

No Events found!