Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2016 17:00

dell xps 9350 ssd

Hello,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a dell xps 13. Can anyone tell me if I order the 8gb model with the i5 6200u FHD screen which comes with a 256gb SSD, can someone tell me what model of SSD this is? Is it a Samsung SM951 (uk model)? I understand it is PCIE based, but does the controller run in AHCI or NVME? I am thinking of putting a 950 pro in there (I understand these drives are nearly identical in terms of performance but I'd like to be able to use the Samsung magician software and turn on rapid mode and overprovisioning. has anyone used the samsung magician software with a 950 pro drive? is there any difference in real world performance between an ahci drive and a nvme drive under normal usage?

thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 6th, 2016 04:00

I've seen Samsung xx1 drives and Lite-on drives in these systems -- you won't know until you receive the system.  There are people who've reported running the 950 Pro in this model.  Yes - the NVMe drives do outperform AHCI or standard PCIe drives, but even standard SATA drives are impressive performers. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 7th, 2016 07:00

They're AHCI - not NVMe

5 Posts

August 7th, 2016 07:00

does anyone know if the sm951's used in the system are ahci or nvme based? the one i am purchasing i have got for around £700 and it is 3 months old.

5 Posts

August 7th, 2016 08:00

is there any difference between nvme/ahci in terms of responsiveness/boot time between the two? I've heard in terms of real world usage, unless you are doing multi-threaded workloads you won't see a difference between the two. is this true?

5 Posts

August 7th, 2016 09:00

benchmarks aside, would you see a real world difference though?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Between native NVMe and PCI and this system, smaller than you thing.

Native NVMe require a 4-lane PCI express interface this system doesn't have -- so the system will hamstring NVMe anyway (but even with that, it WILL be faster).  Enough to justify the cost difference now - no.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

All else equal, NVMe will be faster.  That said, it's priced out of proportion at the moment;  there's no harm in using AHCI now and upgrading later when the production of the faster flash chips needed to build faster drives increases and prices drop.  It will happen - it always does.

No Events found!