Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 23rd, 2014 22:00

disable 3d audio

HOW CAN I DISABLE THE 3D AUDIO EFFECT?  I think this effect is causing the following problem:

I created a sound file that plays sound in my left ear without sound in my right ear and then plays sound in my right ear without any in my left ear.  When I hook up my headphones to the computer and play the sound, it doesn't play appropriately - the left ear sound ears come out onto both ears and the right ear sounds comes out onto both ears. When I copy the sound clip to my ipod shuffle, hook my headphones up to it, the clip plays exactly as it should: left ear sound to left ear only and right ear sound to right ear only.

I think this is caused by the computer trying to always emulate a 3d environment.  I've looked all over to disable this 3d abliity but cannot find it.

I have a Studio 1555; it shows the AMD High Definition Audio Device and the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC installed.

I've tried already tried a few things: 1-disabling the CODEC just disables sound altogether.  2-There is no setting in the IDT control panel to adjust 3d. 3-Different computer programs all have the same problem (I've tried VLC player, windows media player, media player classic, itunes, and audactity)

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 24th, 2014 06:00

I've tried already tried a few things: 1-disabling the CODEC just disables sound altogether.  2-There is no setting in the IDT control panel to adjust 3d

Open the Playback tab of the Sound properties (right click the audio icon on the taskbar), right click on Speakers/headphones, then click Properties. Select the Enhancements tab then check "disable all enhancements".

Does the file play correctly through the internal speakers? If it is just playing incorrectly only through the headphones then it could be a hardware failure. A good test would be to try the native Windows audio driver. Assuming you don't have XP which does not have a native audio driver for HD audio.

If it plays all right wiith that driver that would confirm a configuration issue with the IDT driver is causing the problem. If you get the same symptoms when using the native driver, that would rule out the IDT driver as the culprit, leaving either a non-IDT mis-configuration or the hardware. (If the file plays incorrectly with the native audio driver through the headphones but okay through the speakers then pretty definitely it's the hardware -- probably the headphone jack.)

After you finish testing with the native driver, download a fresh copy of the IDT driver from the Studio 1555 downloads page. Be sure to select your operating system first -- XP, Vista or 7. When you install the new driver files that will fix any configuration issues with the IDT driver, because it will install with its default configuration.

2 Posts

May 25th, 2014 11:00

----Open the Playback tab of the Sound properties (right click the audio icon on the taskbar), right click on Speakers/headphones, then click Properties. Select the Enhancements tab then check "disable all enhancements".----

This did exactly what I was looking for!  Thank you so much for your help.

-aaron

No Events found!