UserWho
1 Copper

e6420 (Windows 7) - no audio (driver problem(?)) Help would be greatly appreciated...

Hello,

help with the following problem would be very much appreciated: There is no audio coming from my dell e6420 (Windows 7 (64) has been newly set up by the former owner I just bought it from and the IDT driver has been installed).

I already searched the web, uninstalled the driver, had a try with the windows driver, re-installed the IDT-driver without any effect. I even tried to install the audio driver for the e6430, but it didn't install and told me that my hardware isn't supported.

Can anyone please help me? Is there another driver I can use? Or did I miss anything?

Best wishes

UserWho

P.S.: Sorry for any mistakes I made; English is not my first language.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

RE: e6420 (Windows 7) - no audio (driver problem(?)) Help would be greatly appreciated...

Hello. Have you run the Dell PC Diagnostic on the E6420 support page?

There is no audio coming from my dell e6420

Have you plugged in headphones to see if audio is getting to the jack?

If you get audio though headphones but not speakers, run the ePSA quick audio test to make sure the speakers are functional.

If you have no audio from both the jack and the speakers, and if you have the same symptoms with both the IDT audio driver and the Windows native driver, you might have a hardware failure. To test for hardware failure, perform a system recovery and test the audio immediately afterward, before updating Windows or drivers. If the audio still does not work then there has been hardware failure.

has been newly set up by the former owner

If the laptop cannot perform a system recovery I would get my money back from the previous owner. System recovery is the only tool you have for determining with 100% certainty whether an audio issue is in the hardware or software. (Well, replacing parts is another way to determine if hardware is faulty, but it can be a very expensive diagnostic method.)

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
UserWho
1 Copper

RE: e6420 (Windows 7) - no audio (driver problem(?)) Help would be greatly appreciated...

Hello Jimco,

thank you very much for your quick reply!

There is no sound on the headphones either.

I ran the dell PC diagnostic earlier, but it didn't help me too much: There was no sound when I was told to check the sound, so I choose "not working". Afterwards, the tool suggested to check the sound card. But: I have a sound (for the duration of the test) when I go to the "audio administration", choose the headphone/Communication-device and test it (though it doesn't work with the "Speaker/Headphones"-device). So shouldn't the hardware be alright?

Best wishes

UserWho

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

So shouldn't the hardware be alright?

I could only speculate whether it is okay or not.  In order to know for sure, perform a system recovery and test the audio immediately. If you get the same symptoms that you have now then there has been failure of the audio hardware. If the hardware has not failed then audio will work normally after the recovery.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
UserWho
1 Copper

Hello!

Thank you very much again!

I'm afraid there is no factory image (at least I went into the boot options via F12 and didn't find anything; when I pressed F8, nothing happened), so I probably would have to get a Win7-DVD and re-install it? Or did I miss a place where I could look for an option to do a system recovery? (Sorry for the stupid questions; I'm not really into this...)

I did a "Quick audio check" via the boot options. It said "these tones are played through the audio subsystem" and played some tones... Is that of any help?

It would be difficult to give the laptop back, so I'm afraid I have to keep trying...

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Uninstall the program and the audio device from the device manager, run Ccleaner's cleaner and registry cleaner. Restart the computer and try installing the driver again.

See here for some guidelines:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/downloading-drivers-checking-hardware-ids-and-downloading-...

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
UserWho
1 Copper

Hello!

Thanks a lot for your help!

I tried to do as the guidelines told me (unistalled program; device was gone from the device manager then anyway; run Ccleaner, did a restart, re-installed the driver), but unfortunately without success. In the list of programs, I found one program called "IDT audio", which I uninstalled at the beginning, but there was another one ("NVIDIA hd audio driver") and I didn't dare to uninstall it. Shall (and can) I uninstall this one as well without causing damage and try the whole procedure again afterwards?

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Its related to the graphics driver.

Its possible that Microsoft Windows is trying to use it as the default playback device.

Right click the volume icon in the taskbar and select "Playback Devices"

Test all the Devices by right clicking them and selecting test.

The IDT one should be the only device you hear chimes from.

Finally ensure that your IDT driver is set to default. It will have the green tick if its at default. If not you will have the option to set it as default:

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
UserWho
1 Copper

Hello!

There are two playback decives listed: One called "Speakers/Headphones (IDT HD Audio CODEC standard device)" which has a green tick and doesn't give any sound while testing (though these green "volume bars" move up and down when I test or play music in general), and one called "Communication Headphones (IDT HD audio codec, standard communication device)", which plays sound when testing und has a green "phone"-button next to it. Any ideas what this could mean?

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Right click "Speakers/Headphones (IDT HD Audio CODEC standard device)" and select configure.

Select all the Audio Channels and test them all separately.

It may have defaulted to 7.1 Surround Sound opposed to Stereo for example and hence the device is receiving audio playback and sending it to non-existent speakers.

Dr Philip Yip

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos