chorhuat
1 Copper

RE: e7240 CONSTANT LOUD NOISE FROM FAN / VENTILATOR TURNING ALL THE TIME

Jump to solution
Yes, mine was solved with settings of min 5% & max 100%.
0 Kudos
Gecko251
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Updating the Chipset driver seems to have fixed my issue too. 

0 Kudos
gristleizer
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I've updated the chipset drivers and I'm still running into the same issues. It caused the system not to rev the fan so high for about an hour, but now its back to being loud. Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
man175
1 Copper

Jump to solution

It is now 2015 and this is still a problem. I really do not like my new E7240 at all due to the high pitched whine constantly while docked. Curiously, the fan does not come on much when operating on battery or plugged into AC, but not docked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
pim999
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I just purchased a new Dell Latitude E7240 laptop with Windows 7, and had the same problem with overheating and the fan running noisily all the time. I've just fixed it on my laptop, it may not work for everyone but just in case I'm entering it here.

The clue for me was that the issue only happened at home, not at work.

• Using the Task Manager, I found that a process 'svchost.exe' was always running at 25% CPU, i.e. taking 100% of one of the 4 processor cores. For this you need to view everyone's processes, and hence you need a local admin account if it asks for permission.
  • With right-click on that process => 'Go to services', you can study which services are hosted by that instance of svchost.
  • For each of those few services, try stopping one at a time (if it lets you) and see if the CPU usage goes down. For me a clue was one service got stuck on 'Stopping' but never stopped.
  • The misbehaving service for me was the 'HomeGroup Provider'. That was why the issue only happened at home and not at work. The laptop had spotted my HomeGroup on my home network, but had not been able to join it. Possibly some issue with IPv6 that I could not enable on my desktop.
  • In the Services tab in Task Manager, get properties on the that service, and set Startup Type to Disabled.
  • Restart the laptop, to ensure the service is stopped.

This did the trick for me, and now the CPU stays below 5% when idle. This is not solving the issue that the fan is noisy when the CPU usage goes high, but for me that rarely happens now.

If you want to access files and printers on your home network without the HomeGroup service, you can still do this the old way:

• Network and Sharing Centre => Advanced settings => Homegroup Connection => "Use user accounts to connect to other computers"
  • Also in Advanced settings: Turn on Network Discovery; and Turn on File and Printer Sharing.
  • Then you can click on your wifi network => Add a printer.
  • If your desktop does not appear, click 'Not listed', then Browse. As long as the network discovery and printer sharing are enabled, the desktop PC should appear and you can login in using your local Windows username and password.

Hope this helps somebody.

Peter

jmeabr
1 Copper

Jump to solution

My brand new E7250 has the same loud, non-stop fan noise issue.

0 Kudos
Stephan_84
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I can confirm that issue. The E7250 has the same annoying fan noise. In my optionen even a bit more annoying than the E7240, when the Sunon Fan is build in.

0 Kudos
tony251
1 Copper

Jump to solution

We have found with the 7240/50, the machine is just generally noisy when it gets warm. To prevent it from getting too warm we run it with the Intel Turbo Boost turned off in the bios. In windows we always run at high performance power profile. So during normal operation it is now almost silent, but when you stress it the fan work but nowhere near as bad as before.

0 Kudos
molly mu
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I tried to do what you suggested but cannot find how to go to advanced settings.   However, I did have an option which was to select "Cool Temp Level" where CPU and fan are adjusted to "maintain lower surface temperature -- cooler bottome."  We will see.   

0 Kudos
Gael1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Up !

This problem is terrible with the new and great Ultrabook e7250. I just buy it and i am very surprise about the fan noise / heat just using mozzila firefox !

The computer is great, but this is really annoying !

What if i use Matlab or such program ?

Did anyone find a solution ? BIOS update ?

Dell, wake up ! This is a terrible fail !

-----------------------------------------------------------------

My config : Dell Latitude E7250, 256SSD, i7-5600U (2.6GHz), 8GoRAM

0 Kudos