Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 27th, 2013 02:00

e7240 CONSTANT LOUD NOISE FROM FAN / VENTILATOR TURNING ALL THE TIME

We received 2 brand new E7240s directly from Dell, one for myself and one for my colleague. As soon as I turned it on to build it for my colleague, I noticed the machine was overheating and the fan was making a noise. Dell suggested a BIOS upgrade which didn't change anything. They then changed the heatsink, again this changed nothing and since then they changed the motherboard. My colleague has gone on holiday so I don't know if her issue has been resolved, however, my laptop from day one does not overheat (as obviously as it did for my colleague) BUT THE FAN TURNS ALL THE TIME. So much so that I think the person in the upstairs bedroom is using her hairdryer. Dell replaced the heatsink and the motherboard yesterday, I have done the same BIOS upgrade and the problem is even worse. As soon as I switch the thing on, the ventilator turns all the time making a loud noise. My previous model was the E6500 and I wasn't bothered by any noises it made.

The 7240 makes so much noise that I want to throw it out of the window :emotion-39: , seriously I am going to switch back to my 5 year old e6500 which is now very slow, I just can't take the constant hair dryer noise from the fan! I am waiting for Dell to get back to me but I don't see what else they can do.

I suspect there is a design problem with newer models, someone with a Latitude 13 Notebook has also mentioned it on the forums, also someone else with an e7240 states "I have noticed the fan running much of the time - it's quiet but you're aware it's spinning.  I am just setting it up though, so the CPU is fairly busy." A person with the e6320 states "And the fan is loud and turns itself on way too often". 

May 14th, 2014 00:00

is there a fan app? Lenovo has so many settings in their power manager to customize.  Does dell have anything that I can customize the fan speed?

1 Message

May 30th, 2014 22:00

Today I got my new company laptop E7240 from IT.

Very disappointed! The fan noise is very noticeable. And it's high frequency noise so make me very uncomfortable.

I am telling IT that I will return the laptop in any case.  My old 3 years old HP laptop is also noise when CPU temperature is high, but that fan noise is not high frequency so it's actually acceptable even it's loud.

Looks like the PC manufactures <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> .

14 Posts

June 12th, 2014 07:00

FINALLY!

Dell changed the fan on our E7240. Old fan was from Delta Electronics, the new one is from Sunon.

This solved our problem!

3 Posts

June 12th, 2014 20:00

I got mine fixed, here was how I did it. Goto the Power Options, at the Power Plan that you selected goto [Change Advance Settings], at the [Processor power management], set the [Minimum processor state] for both "On battery" & "Plugged in" to 5%. It was originally at 100% for both when you select the "Maximum Performance" plan. Cheers! B.rgds/CH

1 Message

June 27th, 2014 04:00

Hi There,

Just to confirm to resolve this did you set the minimum processor state to 5% and maximum processor state to 100%?

The fan on my E7240 continues to make a load of noise and seems to be getting excessivly hot.  I'm not running any really demanding programs outlook, office however it wont shut up!

3 Posts

June 30th, 2014 00:00

Yes, mine was solved with settings of min 5% & max 100%.

1 Message

August 13th, 2014 09:00

Updating the Chipset driver seems to have fixed my issue too. 

1 Message

August 22nd, 2014 16:00

I've updated the chipset drivers and I'm still running into the same issues. It caused the system not to rev the fan so high for about an hour, but now its back to being loud. Any other suggestions?

2 Posts

January 5th, 2015 18:00

It is now 2015 and this is still a problem. I really do not like my new E7240 at all due to the high pitched whine constantly while docked. Curiously, the fan does not come on much when operating on battery or plugged into AC, but not docked.

1 Message

April 14th, 2015 16:00

My brand new E7250 has the same loud, non-stop fan noise issue.

14 Posts

April 14th, 2015 23:00

I can confirm that issue. The E7250 has the same annoying fan noise. In my optionen even a bit more annoying than the E7240, when the Sunon Fan is build in.

5 Posts

April 15th, 2015 03:00

We have found with the 7240/50, the machine is just generally noisy when it gets warm. To prevent it from getting too warm we run it with the Intel Turbo Boost turned off in the bios. In windows we always run at high performance power profile. So during normal operation it is now almost silent, but when you stress it the fan work but nowhere near as bad as before.

1 Message

April 21st, 2015 15:00

I tried to do what you suggested but cannot find how to go to advanced settings.   However, I did have an option which was to select "Cool Temp Level" where CPU and fan are adjusted to "maintain lower surface temperature -- cooler bottome."  We will see.   

1 Message

July 13th, 2015 03:00

Up !

This problem is terrible with the new and great Ultrabook e7250. I just buy it and i am very surprise about the fan noise / heat just using mozzila firefox !

The computer is great, but this is really annoying !

What if i use Matlab or such program ?

Did anyone find a solution ? BIOS update ?

Dell, wake up ! This is a terrible fail !

-----------------------------------------------------------------

My config : Dell Latitude E7250, 256SSD, i7-5600U (2.6GHz), 8GoRAM

2 Posts

July 13th, 2015 06:00

As I said in my earlier post, the fan should not be going all the time, e.g. just using Firefox. You should check for any rogue processes/services that are using CPU all the time.

No Events found!