mjdallas
1 Copper

RE: e7240 CONSTANT LOUD NOISE FROM FAN / VENTILATOR TURNING ALL THE TIME

Jump to solution

This has nothing to do with the Turbo feature.  Its a driver issue.   There is a memory leak with the current wireless driver that Dell has for this model of laptop.  I have several of these deployed in our office and it took me a while to figure this out.

Go to Intel's website and download the Proset wireless driver and software for your OS and install it.  This is will start using the Intel driver for the wireless chipset and not the driver that comes from Dell.  This will resolve your issue.  I have tested this and implemented it on all of our machines in the office and have had no more issues with the overheating and constantly running fan.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/72252/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software

0 Kudos
aghanem
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Guys,

Did you fix your problem ? I'm facing the same issue with my E7250 latitude. CPU 5600u (i7)

Thanks

0 Kudos
zamot
1 Copper

Jump to solution

My laptop is a E7270 (received today) and had not only the same issue, but also a strange rush noise (like something breaking inside "tic tic tac).

The solution gave by  MJDALLAS solved immediately the problem (after reboot). Thanks a lot!! I was already being mad with that noise.

So has he says make an upload of the wireless drive.

Highlighted
blimpa
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Wow! This actually did the trick for me!!! I'm using a Latitude E7250 and ever since I received it I've been having that issue. When I followed your guidelines, I found out that it was the Windows Update process that was overkilling my processors.

I've already made all the updates on Windows, but for some reason the process kept on restarting over and over again. I've put an end to it and I can now work with High Performance profile with no problems whatsoever.

Thank you Peter!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

My work laptop is a Dell Latitude E7240.  For the last six months, I have periodically tried to fix the seemingly random full throttle CPU fan noise.   The fan noise seems to be independent of the load on the CPU.

I updated the BIOS (UEFI actually) to the latest version, changed the OEM fan, replaced the motherboard, looked for manual settings in the UEFI all to no avail.  

Yesterday, I loaded an application on my system SpeedFan 4.52.   It enabled me to set the target CPU temperature manually, and maximum allowed temperature before the alarm.   I changed the default thresholds from 40/60 Celsius to 60/80 respectively.  

Since changing the settings, the fan noise is gone with no ill effects from overheating.