Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2017 12:00

error 0x4001100200001005

My laptop came with pre-installed windows 8 which was updated to Windows 8.1. I had been facing many problems with the system. So I tried to restore factory settings by booting through recovery DVDs that I had prepared earlier, and then planned to update to Windows 8.1. When I restarted laptop, I selected to recover from DVD and format all disks option. The process stopped at 26% and I got this error 0x4001100200001005 which asked to contact Dell support. Then I again tried to recover using the Hard drive partition option. It also stopped at 32% and showed the same error. Then I tried to boot in the normal way through windows but got the error "the boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains error" (status: 0xc000000f). Now I am stuck. Kindly help at the earliest. I am not concerned about data since I have it on external hard drives. All I want is my laptop to be running.

52 Posts

February 27th, 2017 16:00

By any chance did you replaced the original hard drive ?

53 Posts

February 27th, 2017 17:00

You have a retail hard drive installed and not a Dell OEM. This is the reason you have the error code.

4 Posts

February 27th, 2017 18:00

No. I haven't done anything else than what is written in the post. All this happened within a span of 2 hours yesterday.

4 Posts

February 27th, 2017 19:00

I have no technical knowledge of this so I am not sure how this matters. But it would be helpful if you can suggest a course of action to resolve this issue.

52 Posts

February 28th, 2017 05:00

Do you still have the Windows license key ? And, how is it you don't know whether you have a retail drive or original ? Under Disk Management do you have the hidden recovery drive ?

• 

16.7K Posts

March 1st, 2017 09:00

Prakhar.a

Can you post your computer model?  I can then look  for any issues for the computer.

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft Windows on a Dell Computer

4 Posts

March 1st, 2017 10:00

Hi everyone,

My issue got sorted out though I am not sure how. I tried again; first with hard drive option which didn't work; then with DVD option involving only formatting of c drive which again gave error (both of these gave the respective errors as described in original post); and finally I tried DVD option involving formatting of all drives. This time it worked. The process didn't stop at 35% and instead the DVD drive opened which meant the next DVD had to be inserted. The process went through smoothly.

I think what has happened is the following. The first time that I had tried formatting, I went for what I finally did i.e. I tried DVD with formatting all drives. It seems the Hard drive recovery partition got affected somehow so that option didn't work. The normal system boot also got affected in the process, so I got the error that boot configuration data was affected and hence couldn't log on to windows.

What I have realised in last 2 days is that there is no proper compilation of such problems and their solutions anywhere on internet. These problems have been asked before but the final solution is never posted, especially regarding the boot configuration data error. It's good to see you guys trying to help though it can be difficult for someone like me who is not very technically sound on computers. For example, the difference between retail hard drives and Dell OEM (my common sense tells that Dell OEM would be the one which came originally installed in the laptop which is the case here). And in case a retail drive was installed then does that mean that there is no solution for such a problem? Now since a Dell support official has joined this discussion, my only request to Dell is to take such errors which are general in nature and put up their standard solutions on their site in technical support (I didn't find either of the errors on Dell support). I realise that majority of people face any one error and not both at the same time. But at least if I found separate solutions then I may be able to work something out. Otherwise Dell support would always be there.

Thank to all for their help.

No Events found!