Closed

5 Posts

April 7th, 2008 04:00

error code 0148

My XPS 1210 is not booting up the OS this is what I got Please help

error code 0148

msg. error code 2000-0148

msg. unit 0ide error: status 43 No additional sense information

The give error codeand msg can be used by DELL technical support to help diagnose the problem

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 7th, 2008 09:00

The hard drive has failed - replace it. 

27 Posts

January 31st, 2009 20:00

The hard drive has failed - replace it.

How hard is it to replace?  I've installed hard drives, modems, video cards on Windows 3.1 PCs, but this is the first notebook I've had with a failed hard drive.  Mine is an Inspiron 1505.  I went to parts and accessorries under my service tag and they show a 120GB hard drive.  Can I assume that will work in my unit?

3 Posts

December 5th, 2010 08:00

machine: Dell inspiron 1525 

during installing "daemon tools", it shown a error message and reboot automatically. after that it cannot start in any method like normal/safe mode etc and even unable to repair with OS installation DVD.

When I try to diagnose during booting, it shows error like this:

Error code: 0148

Msg: 2000-0148

Msg: Hard/Optical drive 0-incorrect status: 1A Error

Register: 0020h

Sense information: (02-0401)

daemon tools was working well bfore I format my machine. But for re installation of OS I've just change the BIOS to boot CD drive as 1st preference and forgot to change before install daemon tools. after that i tried to disable the CD booting but it didnt overcome the problem. Anybody please help on this ? Thnks in advance -bt pls dont say to replace the hard disk !!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 5th, 2010 08:00

2000:0148 is a hard drive error - you do need a new drive.

3 Posts

December 5th, 2010 09:00

thanks, but do you mean there is noway to disable the virtual drive created by daemon through BIOS ?

still I believe all physical drives are ok, and the problem is with the virtual one. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 5th, 2010 10:00

Whatever virtual drive was created isn't active when you boot the Dell diagnostics -- you'd need to boot whatever operating system you used to create it.  If you're seeing a 2000;0148 error when you boot the diagnotics, the hard drive is bad.

3 Posts

December 5th, 2010 21:00

not always !!!  i got it.

here is the procedure;

during booting, i activate the BIOS setup and then disable all drives except CD/DVD in the system tab and assigned as first priority to the same. Then insert the vista installation dvd and save & exit the bios. NOW THE DVD WORKS WELL WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM. After changing the primary settings such as language and time zone, I've activated repair mode. Then proceed by agree to "remove the recently installed some programms which changes the default settings". Within minutes it restart again and now work well. the repair mode removed the daemon tool.

so bfor install such programms it should be check the bios whether the cd drive has got the 1st priority and remove/degrade if it has....

July 7th, 2011 18:00

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 that was throwing a SMART error and ran diagnostics and received the error talked about in this thread. Replaced the drive with a new WD Scorpio Blue 160GB and attempt installation of XP and its throwing blue screens left and right. So, I attempt to install Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit and errors out saying your drive is going to fail. Ran Dell Diag. again and comes back with same error. My diagnosis is the IDE/SATA channel interface is bad. What are your thoughts?

No Events found!