Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

April 17th, 2012 21:00

external dvd burner on xps13 ultrabook

I purchased the XPS ultrabook last week and also the $69.99 external USB DVD burner they recommended. The first DVD just ejected disks immediately and, after 45 minutes of their remote testing, they sent me a new DVD that works. EXCEPT they included Roxio 10.2 and 13.1 (not premier versions), neither of which will run from the icon. I get errors about "all your drives are set to disabled. On this operating system, in order to start Creator DE you must either physically remove our drive(s) or enable at least one drive" After almost 2 hours on the phone with 2 techs, they decided that I need to return my laptop to delivered condition, losing all my programs and customizing of Windows 7, in order to try to reinstall that software.

1) I told them the versions are not for Windows 7, which they denied, and wonder if anyone here knows if that is true or if owners of the ultrabook have succeeded in installing Roxio 10.2 DE or 13.1 Suite?

2) I downloaded a trial version of Nero 11 and it worked perfectly. So I will probably have to purchase it to keep from having to reinstall everything in order to get their old Roxio to work. Not happy but it's better than undoing what took me 20 - 30 hours so far (yeah, I use a lot of different software on a daily basis)..

Part of this is to vent my frustration and part is to wonder about anyone else's experiences with the external DVD that was in the ordering pages for the XPS 13 ultrabook.

1 Message

April 26th, 2012 10:00

We just ordered the new XPS 13 with the only external DVD writer option on the website for it. It (the external dvd) is being replaced because the drive randomly resets itself during reading of disc.

One very interesting thing though is they shipped a pigtail usb adapter to provide additional power to the external DVD writer which would require two usb ports somewhat next to each other. When the DVD kept resetting itself assumed maybe it needed the pigtail for more power....can't hook up to the XPS 13 since there are two usb ports - one on either side of the ultrabook. Looks like some Dell engineers needs to go back to the drawing board and get an external DVD writer that will actually work with the XPS 13 using a single usb port

The two disc for Roxio that was included was 10.2 & 10.3.1 - I use neither since Windows 7 will natively do everything with the burning functions we need.

August 1st, 2012 15:00

That is funny!  I thought I was the only one who discovered this.

isn't that one of the stupidest things you have ever seen?

When I called Dell about it, they just said that I don't need the usb adapter!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well then why is it in the box?  Why is this included for this machine?

...........no answer....................

No Events found!