Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 09-18-2007 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

external keyboard not recognized by inspiron 2200

I want to use an external Logitech keyboard (model Y SR34) with my Inspiron 2200. I installed the software that came with the CD but the keyboard is still not recognized by the notebook. The message is that the port isn't recognized, but I tried switching ports, and checked the port properties, and the ports aren't the problem. How can I fix?
Replies (4)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I just spoke with Logitech tech support and was told that Logitech keyboards have a lot of problems with the adapter plugs for USB ports. The tech guesses that the keyboard simply can't get a signal through the adapter, and it wouldn't matter which adapter I used. I think he's right, because I tried plugging the keyboard w/adapter into another computer's USB port (a port I use all the time), and got a message that the device malfunctioned.

Thanks for your help; looks like it's time to get a more modern keyboard!
3 Silver

Boot the computer.  With it running plug the external keyboard in, you should see it installing software in the bottom right corner.  Then a message that your hardware is installed.  If you don't get that, try plugging in another USB device into that port.  If that works then the keyboard might be the problem.  Try it on another computer if available. 

If other USB devices don't work, be sure USB is enabled in the BIOS, if it's and option under Integrated devices. 

I have also seen those adapters cause issues.  

Check device manager (Windows+Break)/Hardware tab/Device Manager assuming XP, and be sure after plugging in the keyboard there are no yellow question marks or red exclamation points. 
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I got an adapter for the Logitech so I could use it with the USB ports on the laptop.
3 Silver

Not clear what you mean by switching ports.  That keyboard is a ps/2 keyboard and the 2200 doesn't have a PS/2 interface.  Maybe I'm wrong.
Top Contributor
Latest Solutions