Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

15 Posts

August 4th, 2007 19:00

flashing video card bios

I have a D800 with the GeForce4 4200 Go video card. I've been having some intermittent video problems and want to reflash the bios. However, when I try it I get the message that the existing bios is the same version as the new one (which is true) and the process aborts. Is there a way to force it to reflash even though the bios versions are the same?

15 Posts

So you're saying that the video card bios cannot cause video problems?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

There's no point in doing it; the problems, whatever they are, are not BIOS related.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 4th, 2007 20:00

The only problem would be a failed flash of the BIOS, which would destroy the card such that it won't operate at all.

15 Posts

August 4th, 2007 21:00

The BIOS either works or it doesn't, eh? Ok, thanks.

133 Posts

August 5th, 2007 02:00

Have you tried updating the drivers? This may help sometimes.

Eugene

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Dell Inspiron E1705: Centrino Duo Computer
Intel Core Duo T2350 @ 1.866 GHz D-0 (Yonah)
17" WXGA+ Screen by AU Optronics
2 GB RAM at DDR2-533 by Hyundai Electronics
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256 MB Graphics Card with Hypermemory
120 GB 5400 RPM Hard Disk Drive M60 Series HM120JI by Samsung
Dell 355 Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR Technology
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 a/b/g 54 Mbps
Sigmatel High Definition Audio
Sony DVD+-RW with DL Support

15 Posts

August 5th, 2007 03:00

Yeah. Did that first. And pulled the video card out and reseated it. No joy. What it does is, lines or line segments or symbols will appear on all or parts of the screen every now and then, and, after a bit of that the screen will go blank. If I power the computer down it will usually fix it, at least for a while. I also tried connecting to an external monitor while it was doing it's trick, to see if it was the display, but that seems to trigger a reset of the video board as it changes to dual screen mode, and that clears up the problem too.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 5th, 2007 09:00

If the problem doesn't appear externally, the video card is fine. Try reseating the ribbon cable inside the system. If that doesn't fix it and the cable appears undamaged, the LCD panel is what needs repair or replacement.

15 Posts

August 5th, 2007 14:00

The thing is, when I connect an external monitor, the problem clears up on both the external monitor and the laptop screen. The video card seems to go through a reset when it recognizes the external monitor, which frustrates the experiment.

I have also reset the ribbon cable, after which things are ok for a time, but, just powering down the computer does that by itself, so I don't know if reseating the cable has anything to do with it.

Thanks for the help.

--Bill
No Events found!