Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

February 4th, 2009 08:00

gradual decrease in hard disk space by itself

hey,

the memory space in my laptop's(inspiron 1525) C drive is decreasing by itself.. though in little amount but regularly.

does anybody know if it is some kinda virus or some softwre problem.

btw no virus is being detected by any of the antivirus.. 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 4th, 2009 08:00

Do a disk cleanup to remove temporary files. These take up hard drive space. You should also defragment the drive if you have Windows XP. Vista does the defrag automatically, but check that anyway if you have Vista.

5.2K Posts

February 4th, 2009 09:00

Possibly is the Restore function which will use up to 15% of hard disk space to store Restore Points. You could go to the Properties of the C: drive and run Disk Cleanup; note the amount of used disk space is available before the cleaning. After it reports how much space can be recovered, allow it to do the cleaning, and note how much was recovered.. Then click on More Options and allow all but the last Restore Point to be removed. Then note how much was recovered. You can turn off the Restore Function, but will then have no way to recover from moderate problems.

February 4th, 2009 11:00

Temporary Internet files?  Try downloading CCleaner from www.filehippo.com

It is good about cleaning up temp files and such...

2 Posts

February 8th, 2009 00:00

I've tried that already....the problem is it keeps happening daily....like i'll do a disk clean up today and recover a few GB's..then they'll be gone tomorrow again..is there any solution to this?

315 Posts

February 8th, 2009 01:00

:^/ my first reaction was that Windows® usually uses a virtual memory paging file, and that Windows® will increase its size from time to time as it gets filled up.

Personally, I've upgraded to four gigabytes of real RAM, (though the one gigabyte I started with was plenty) and shut virtual memory off completely.

Mind you, I don't know for sure that your situation is caused by that, but you could check it now and then....

No Events found!