Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2009 12:00

graphics problems with Windows 7 64bit and Intel 4500mhd

I recently upgraded my Studio 1737 to Windows 7, 64bit.  Since doing so I have updated my drivers to the latest available from Dell, however I'm having horrible problems with my graphics.

I've attached two images in the hopes that someone will be able to tell me whats causing these problems.

Thanks

1 Attachment

184 Posts

X( Never mind, noticed it in your original post.  But my second question still stands.  :emotion-1:

184 Posts

hill79,

Thank you for contacting the Dell Community Forums.  What type of graphics controller does your system have (i.e., ATI or Intel)?  Also, have you tried any other troubleshooting steps to try to resolve your graphics problems?

22 Posts

the second image

1 Attachment

184 Posts

hill79,

One other question:  What is the specific version number of the driver you installed?  Intel has a Windows 7 64-bit driver on their site for this controller (available here), but before recommending it, I want to make sure I'm not having you install something you already tried.  The version on Intel's site is 15.15.6.64.1892.

22 Posts

November 9th, 2009 13:00

I initially installed the driver available on the Dell support site but the problem was still there.  I then tried things like deactivating Aero and transparency, but to no effect.

Next I downloaded the drivers you mention from the Intel site, installing them using the 'have disc' method, still with no success.

The issue tends to go away if I refresh the screen or sometimes if I minimise then maximise the window, but it'll suddenly come back again with no warning and seemingly no reason.

Thanks for the replys so far :)

184 Posts

November 9th, 2009 13:00

hill79,

Thanks for the update.  A couple of other questions:

1. Have you tried running the system in VGA Mode temporarily to see if the problem occurs there? 
  2. Have you tried changing the DPI setting in the display driver (e.g., from 96 to 120, or vice versa)?

22 Posts

November 9th, 2009 14:00

Thanks, I'll try that at next reboot and get back to you

184 Posts

hill79,

You should be able to boot to VGA Mode by pressing the F8 key during startup and selecting "Enable VGA Mode" from the Windows Advanced Options menu.

22 Posts

I've just tried setting the system to 120dpi (it was set to 96dpi) with no favourable results

How would I set the system to VGA mode?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 9th, 2009 16:00

hill79,

I have a Studio 1737 with Windows 7 64-bit on a seperate partition. I saw the exact same thing but only when I was using Spybot Search & Destroy. My problem seems to have gone away but I was also trying different things. It you or Chris have any questions on settings and/or drivers, if you provide the information, I'm more than willing to share what information I have. You'll have to give me a few minutes to switch as I still have my wife's items on the Vista 64-bit partition and I run the Vista Partition when I'm not home as until the small issues are straightened out, I only allow my wife on a stable system.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 9th, 2009 16:00

Correction,

I first saw this with Flashget but it can be seen better with IrfanView. The more the image sits there it seems to get messed up more. I left my computer on for a while and can back it was blurry.

Rick

4 Posts

November 10th, 2009 07:00

Hi guys,

I thought just I am not the lucky one....

Have exactly the same problem with Intel graphics on Studio 1737. Thankfully I'm still using Vista and have Win 7 64bit RC on different partition. At first, I thought it was Windows 7 RC issue and thought it will disappear as soon as I buy current Windows 7 64bit version. Thankfully I haven't as I would go mad!

The problem for me starts mainly during video playback (even Skype or YouTube) but also during other more common actions. Usually when I maximize and minimize a window couple of time the problem disappears. But just for a while. That's really frustrating...

Hopefully somebody will find a solution.

Thanks.

184 Posts

November 10th, 2009 08:00

lemmon and hill79,

It's possible that an application or process running in the background may be contributing to the problems you're having.  Try a clean boot (basically, starting up without extraneous applications or services) and see if that improves the situation.  Directions on performing a clean boot in Windows 7 can be found here.

22 Posts

November 10th, 2009 08:00

I'm pleased its not just me thats having the probem.  I agree it seems to be something that happens once the laptop has been on for a while and the longer an image stays on screen the worse it seems to get.

I've still not had time to try the VGA mode, I will do later on and report back.

This issue has been present since *CLEAN* install of Windows 7, so its not something thats been caused by installing any other software.

4 Posts

November 10th, 2009 11:00

PROBLEM RESOLVED

I've found a solution in this thread: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19301288.aspx

At the very bottom Identic found the answer to the problem. It is caused by RAM sticks used in laptop. I wanted to upgrade the RAM from original 2GB (2x 1GB Samsung RAM) to 4GB (2x 2GB Kingston RAM) but as my Vista is 32bit I combined 2GB Kingston with 1GB Samsung to have 3GB altogether. Combining these two brands together caused the problem somehow as Intel graphics uses shared memory.

After installing just both 2GB Kingston RAM sticks, the problem in Windows 7 64bit RC is resolved. No more graphics glitches (I tested it for 2 hours on video playback, photo editing, watching YouTube, browsing picture).

So if you've upgraded the RAM in your computer, make sure you are using the same sticks. If you haven't, that's Dell's problem... Don't know if it works with, lets say, 2GB + 1GB stick both the same brand but I would suggest to use the same size and specification for both RAM sticks.

Hope that will help you too!

No Events found!