Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

December 24th, 2008 06:00

hard drive needed - mine is dead

I own an inspiron 510m (2005 - old i know) and about 5 months ago i turned it on one day to find it wouldnt load anything but the setup stuff at the beginning. It says 'hard drive/disc not found'.

someone told me i need to buy a new hard drive and put it in (i realise ive lost everything - as i didnt back it up).

I thought i'd check the dell website first to see if they sell the hard drives on their own but i couldnt find anything.

can anyone tell me what i can do or where i can get a hard drive from?

-Noora

315 Posts

December 24th, 2008 07:00

;^) In your place, I'd visit an electronic shop and buy an external USB hard drive with as much room as you want for your laptop.  Then, I'd switch the drives between the two, putting you old laptop drive into the external USB case, and the newer, larger drive into the laptop.

Next, boot from CD, Install the OS, etc.  You may be able to copy your personal files from the external drive before re-formatting it for use as a backup drive.

1.9K Posts

December 24th, 2008 11:00

You do not need to purchase from Dell. I would buy a SATA or PATA drive as required from Newegg or another online vendor of your choice and go from there. It will be a lot cheaper than Dell...

pcgeek11

2 Posts

December 24th, 2008 17:00

Thanks guys! i will definatley look into both options :)

No Events found!