Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 9th, 2012 18:00

hard drive

Today I replaced my hard drive on my Dell N5010 laptop, followed an instructional video, and seemed pretty easy and went well but... when I turn on my laptop, the screen does nothing and its just beeps... I need help understanding way its doing this and what should I do?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 9th, 2012 19:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

How many beeps did you hear? Did you see any lights on the computer? Can you tell me exactly what happened to the old hard drive? Please brief me more about the issue so I can guide you to the right directions.

Regards,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 14th, 2012 00:00

Hi Ellin,

The light that you saw indicates Power for the computer. But the Beep Code 2, it means there is something wrong in the memory (RAMs) Try to reseat the memory of the computer. Then try again. If no go, try troubleshooting memory by isolation. First, remove one memory and test just one, if still no go, swap it to test the other memory. Same thing with the slot, test one memory to a single slot, and then to 2nd slot. (This process is only applicable if you have more than 1 memory stick)

Here is the link for the manual;

support.dell.com/.../index.htm

Regards,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 19th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Sounds like there is an issue with the hardware. Can you check again device manager, see if all device drivers are loaded. To go to device manager, click start, right click Computer, hit manage and click device manager. See if there are yellow exclamtion marks. It determines which device has some missing driver.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 24th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

Try removing the mouse to see if touchpad works. If same issue, possible faulty palmrest(touchpad) issue.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 27th, 2012 01:00

Looks like the hard drive is also damaged.

Few things to try ;

- Run checkdisk on the external Hard Drive.

- Use  a 3rd party tool to recover or fix hard drive. Ex. TestDisk

21 Posts

June 13th, 2012 09:00

Hello-

sorry for taking so long to answer- there are two beepsand of the 3 lights- its the first light on the left that comes on. I had been having problems with N5010 stalling and freezing up- alt, ctrl, delete, nothing! tried to open the task monitor to see which program was not responding, nothing! had to do a cold shut down (hate doing that!) I read up on it and many of the blogs said that this was a symtom that the hard drive was going out and that the N5010 is 'known' to have hard drive issues, so got me an external hard drive to copy my files mostly got them copied but then I got an error message and it appears that I did not get all my OS copied or my pictures - it stopped the copy process - I then shut it down to restart it - came up ok and I went back online to read some more- again it stalled and froze for like 10 min so I did a cold shut down, waited a couple mins and turned it back on- BLACK screen! requesting to reboot or insert disks- since I did not get all the OS copied -no luck there and Dell did not send me a disk with operating system/drives. I ran a diagnostic and the only thing that came up was 'no hard drive found' - I called Dell support and they told me that they thought it was the hard drive too and it would cost me $179 to start plus $199 for the hard drive and reinstall the OS and drives because its out of warranty. I figured since I cant use it as is  that I would research installing a hard drive and see what I can do with it. I really appreciate you guidance, I really love to learn more about computers - repair and stuff. Thanks!

-Elin

21 Posts

June 14th, 2012 20:00

Elijah-

Yea!  that fixed it, the bottom stick appears to not have been connecting - now I get the screen "Reboot and select proper boot devise or insert boot media in selected boot devise"- I had told you that I was trying to back up and copy the OS files to my external hard drive but wasnt able to get it all copied ( got an error message and it closed it) as well as I did not get a disk with the laptop- please advise. I'm actually enjoying this, thanks!

21 Posts

June 17th, 2012 11:00

Thanks! I have a copy of Windows 7 for my PC and loaded that and it worked! But I cannot get the touchpad to work - I went to the driver download support and downloaded the driver and yet it still wont work, am I missing something? also I am having an issue with the WAN wireless card, again not working.

-Elin

21 Posts

June 19th, 2012 09:00

Thanks! yea, another success... yes I was missing the adapter for WAN - downloaded it and it works! the touchpad - ugh! I'll keep trying...

21 Posts

June 19th, 2012 23:00

OK.... here's what I know... my device manager says I have HID comp. mouse, I do not see the touchpad even though I have the driver for Synaptics loaded/installed. So... how do I remove the external mouse/pointer device setting to touchpad? also now that I am thinking back regarding the touchpad - I was having an issue with 'run way scroll'- does this mean that I should replace it?

21 Posts

June 25th, 2012 08:00

thanks! you got me thinking about the connection - so I took it all apart and the connection had somehow disconnected from the clip - reconnected it and now it works! I really appreciate you walking me through this! I have a laptop that works! I had never attempted anything like this before and am so jazzed that I was able to repair my laptop with your guidence! thanks again!!!

21 Posts

June 25th, 2012 22:00

Hello-

I have purchased an external hard drive enclosure to recover my pictures from my old hard drive, I read that you can recover pictures and documents this way - I have installed the hard drive into the case (it is supposed to have plug and play) and I have plugged the USB in - the case lights up and the hard drive 'vibrates' like it is running but I cannot see it in the computer drives. Can you advise me?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 26th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Can you try plugging it in to a different or known good computer? Try that please.

21 Posts

June 26th, 2012 08:00

Hello- I did , my N5110 laptop and Dell PC - nothing shows with the laptop but the PC showed a J drive, but it wanted me to format it - I got scared because it said if I formatted it it would erase the disc... and I dont know what that means...

21 Posts

July 2nd, 2012 21:00

Thank you so much! I pretty much recovered alot of data using your suggestion Testdisk, the second part PhotoRec actually did the trick!

No Events found!