Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2017 03:00

headphone jack broken off in headphone plug in

First time ive ever had this happen with any sort of electornics.....the headphone jack on a new pair of turtle beach headphones somehow got bent and before i realized the danger it broke off inside the output for the headphones on my AW 15 R3.   computer is less than a month away from the store....grrrrrrr   what are my options.....thanks....Tom Schuster

3 Posts

December 8th, 2017 04:00

Thank ,  ive been debating about removing the back to see if its accessable without major surgery...this is my first laptop , im used to building my own desktops with all the room needed is usually no problem....thanks again....

• 

16.7K Posts

December 8th, 2017 04:00

TOMMYSS,

If you purchased complete care from Dell you can call into Dell Alienware Support at 1 (877) 330-9732. If you did not you can possibly take it back to the store you purchased it from to see if they can help you. You can also try removing it yourself. Just make sure that it is unplugged before attempting to remove it.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 8th, 2017 05:00

debating about removing the back to see if its accessable without major surgery.

Hello. You can get the Service Manual here. It is in a .pdf version and HTML. The pdf is easier to navigate, particularly if you open it with Adobe.

I believe the audio ports are in enclosures, so you might not be able to get to the broken plug within. Not sure. You could possibly insert a small drill bit into the broken plug cylinder and snag it enough to withdraw it.

Failing that, you could try taking it to a jewelry repair shop and ask if they would remove the plug.

2 Posts

December 8th, 2017 14:00

There is a tool, the GripStick, specifically designed to easily solve this problem without having to disassemble the device, use glue, drilling, or any other unsafe method. It also works for any mobile device, tablet, computer, or any other electronic equipment that has a 3.5mm headphone jack. The GripStick was successfully funded via a Kickstarter campaign. Watch it in action here:

www.youtube.com/watch

You can order one here:

http://nightek.com/

3 Posts

December 10th, 2017 00:00

I have eventually triumphed over the tiny evil that had lodged in my headphone output jack...Thanks for all the suggestions.  what eventually worked was a pair of those tiny little scissors that are normally used on nose hair and nails.....there very small at the  pointy end and although i got it started with a small screw the scissors worked way better than i imagined they would....And even though I boogered up the very ouitside part of the jack to my suprise it worked like a champ....WOOOOHOOOO....Hopefully that was the first and last time im cursed with such a tiny  but maddening physical casualty that id never really thought of till the other day when it happened.  Thanks and smooth computing to ya all.......Tommy...

No Events found!