Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 3rd, 2012 03:00

help on reinstal of o/s after new hard drive

Hi everyone,  I have just registered with Dell, so please go easy on me.     I have a Dell Inspiron M5030, which has just been returned to Dell for a new Hard Drive.   Unfortunately, when it was returned to me, Dell had not put on the operating system for me, so i have had to do this myself.   When I got the laptop, I created a System Recovery Media which I put onto a usb.    I have now used this to reinstall my operating system.  This I have managed to do, and I have my desktop back (hoorah), but I am not sure what I need to do next.  I know I need to reinstall the drivers, but not being totally computer savvy, not sure if I should reinstall them from the original Dell Drivers & Utilities DVD which came with the  laptop, or whether to go to Dell driver & downloads and do it from there?  Could anyone help me with this info please, as I would like to get my computer up and running correctly.

I have read the Dell Manual reinstall for Windows 7, and under step 5, install dell drivers and utilities, it says that following  a reinstalling of the operating system, follow the order listed when installing drivers.  What I do not know, and need help with please is   a) do I use the dvd which came with the laptop to reinstal the drivers etc,  or  b) do I instal them as per Step 5 in which it says there is a particular order to instal them.     I do not want to do this incorrectly, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance of any help.

3.8K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 05:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Yes you will need to install drivers in the Correct order or some devices may not work properly.

support.dell.com/.../document

You can use the Drivers and Utilities disc that came with the computer to install it. If you find some drivers missing, then you can check support.dell.com, click on home users, drivers and downloads enter your service tag to get all the drivers for your system.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

3.8K Posts

Hi,

No the drivers on the Disc will not be in the correct order they will be in alphabetic order, you will need to use the above link to check which driver needs to be installed first, and then download it from the drivers and utilties disc one by one.

Thank you

Royan

7 Posts

Hi, could I just ask will the Drivers & Utility Disk that came with the laptop be in the "correct order", as described in Step 5?  Sorry if this sounds silly, but I have never done this before.

7 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 06:00

Thanks very much, well try my hand at this, if I need any further assistance, I will come back, but in the meantime, your help has been much appreciated.

7 Posts

April 7th, 2012 07:00

Hi, I am coming back to you again for further help.   I think I may  not have  been too clear  in my original post, I said I had a new hard drive fitted by dell, and the computer was returned working, but no operating system had been installed, and I wanted assistance with the drivers.  What I didnt know was that the drivers would be installed back on when I did the System Recvery Media, and Factory Image Restore.

I did a backup of what was actually on the computer when it was returned from Dell onto a usb using Dell Datasafe Backup 2, and then I used my System Recovery Media (which I took when I first set up the computer in 2011.) to restore my hard drive to the operating state it was in when I purchasedthe computer.   This went well, I got Windows 7 home edition on the screen after following the prompts, i.e. language, etc and set up first time user, i.e.. name of computer, password etc, and then it came on the screen that Windows wanted to install updates, and it involved restarting the computer.    I pressed the update button, and the computer restarted, and when it came back on this message was there:

"Windows Boot Manager"

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:-

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer

2. choose your language settings and then click"next"

3. click "repair your computer".

If do not have this disc, contact your system adminstrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

I was not given an installation disc when I purchased the computer, and the only thing I have is the System Recovery Media I took when I first set up my computer just over a year ago.      As the operating system is on this USB, why cant I get past the "Windows Boot Manager".   I have pressed F8 - and it comes back to the same thing.  I cant get to the Advanced Boot where it gives the option to "repair my computer"     I have tried F12 and changed the boot from the Hard Drive to the USB - still get the same "boot Manager screen".  I have also tried F2, F9, F10, F11 and I cant get past this screen.

Can anyone help me with this please as the computer has been out of action for over 2 weeks, and It is driving me mad. What have I done wrong?   What I dont understand is why Windows 7 Home Edition has obviously loaded, and there are 3 partitions, all healthy, according to the Device Manager,  but once the computer is turned off and back on again, it shows the "Windows Boot Manager" and the above error code.

Please help as I am tearing my hair out with this.

1 Message

April 21st, 2012 22:00

i am having exactly the same problem, it seems the recovery disk that is created by the machine is useless. i been on it for 2 weeks now and i just ordered a new copy of windows

the recovery dvds i created will install fine, they will format the particians and install windows and it will start up great the first time, but when i shut down and try to restart i get that came error, none of the diagnostoics disks i got from dell work in this case and everyone wants to charge more than the cost of the new windows 7 disk would cost. i should get it ina  few days and if it works i will log back on and let you know...

also i would be willing to create an image and transfer it to you so you can do the same is you wish.

this is just their way of separating us from our money, they probably do this on purpose......

7 Posts

April 24th, 2012 10:00

Hi Eavilla3600

Thank you very much for your reply.  I am sorry to hear you have had the same problem as me - I totally sympathise,  It is so frustrating trying to fix this problem.  I, thankfully have got mine fixed now -  What I did was:   Following using the system media restore I took, this did not work, and having tried to get it back to the factory settings, I just got the error screen telling me to put my disk in.  I tried and tried like yourself to get it going, and in the end I rang Dell.   Fortunately my computer had "7" days left on the warranty.   Having explained the problem to Dell, they said I needed to use the original operating system disk - which I did not have, so after a bit of persuasion, they agreed to send one out to me free of charge. ( I should have received it when I bought the computer,).   I put the disk in, and the error screen came up. I pressed  "r", to repair my computer, and it took a while, but it went through everything, and then Windows 7 came on the screen.  It wanted to update, and this is where it all went wrong the last time, but this time, it went through all the updates, and came back on.   IT HAS WORKED EVER SINCE - must be since just after Easter.   

With doing the Factory Image Restore, all the drivers were already loaded, so I did not need to reinstall them, but I had to put on all the extras I had on, i.e. windows live mail, printers etc.   

I really appreciate your offer of creating an image and transferring it to me, but as I have the disk, and the original factory restore settings, I should be ok, but I agree that it is their way of seperating us from our money.   

Hope you have got yours up and running now and dont have any more problems with it.  

It is nice to know there are some kind people out there who are willing to help.    If anyone else needs some advice re this problem, let me know, and I will try and help if I can.

No Events found!