Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2011 12:00

how do I know if my laptop screen (lamp) is burning out?

Several years ago, when a Dell technician came to my house to fix my previous laptop, they commented that my screen lamp seemed burnt out, and I should have it replaced. I did, and sure enough, the picture became much brighter.

Now I own a new Dell laptop, which is about 3.5 years old, and I am wondering if the lamp is getting dimmer again. My only basis for comparison is a work laptop, also from Dell, whose screen is much brighter. But it could just be the screen.

Is there any rule of thumb, or way to see if a lamp is burning out? I'm trying to figure out if I should ask Dell to replace it (still under warranty for 1.5 more years).

934 Posts

November 21st, 2011 14:00

Start at the top of the forum given by the link below

badcaps.net/.../showthread.php

Generally:

The CCFL will slowly degrade with time and the end of life is defined when the lamp hits 50% of its output.

Personally I would only consider replacing the screen when there is definitely! a visible decrease of brightness and if I had used the laptop extensively! over the years.Provided Dell is willing to replace a perfectly working screen just because you said it is a "little bit darker" than normal, you might/will get a "refurbished screen" whose CCFL's have already been used for quite a while.....(I am not familiar with Dell's replacement policy - just guessing)

5 Posts

November 21st, 2011 14:00

Cool, thank you for your input, that's a good point that I would probably get a refurbished screen anyway.

I have been using the screen very extensively, but it's still not nearly as bad as the previous one I replaced (which was almost unusable). I will hold off mentioning it for now.

No Events found!