Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 04-07-2016 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

how to disable USB 3.0 in BIOS on Latitude 6430s

Dear all,

I need to disable USB 3.0 (Intel Panther Point USB 3.0 controller) support in BIOS on my Latitude E6430s. The BIOS vA14, BIOS Revision: 4.6.

Unfortunately there is no BIOS switch to do this. It is possible to disable USB support for external devices completely, but it is not an option.

Is there any chance to get rid of USB 3.0 on BIOS level? Perhaps some development BIOS release etc.

Appreciate your assistance.

Thanks

jim

Replies (14)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi Jim,

Thanks. Actually I just find that different BIOS versions provide different USB enable/disable options. For my E6430 with BIOS version A16, it has no option to disable the USB 3.0 ports only. The same situation with yours. But for my boss, his Dell laptop with BIOS A11 shows an option in BIOS USB configuration->enable/disable USB 3.0 ports together with the one we have, enable/disable all external USB ports!

Do you think downgrading the BIOS can help?

Best regards.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Thanks Jennifer,

Actually I found that different BIOS versions provide different USB enable/disable options. For my E6430 with BIOS version A16, it has no option to disable the USB 3.0 ports only. But for my boss, his Dell laptop with BIOS A11 shows an option in BIOS USB configuration->enable/disable USB 3.0 ports together with the one I have, enable/disable all external USB ports!

Do you think downgrading the BIOS can help? Is there any negative effect if I downgrade the BIOS of the Dell laptop?

Best regards.

Actually I just find that different BIOS versions provide different USB enable/disable options. For my E6430 with BIOS version A16, it has no option to disable the USB 3.0 ports only. The same situation with yours. But for my boss, his Dell laptop with BIOS A11 shows an option in BIOS USB configuration->enable/disable USB 3.0 ports together with the one we have, enable/disable all external USB ports!

Do you think downgrading the BIOS can help?

4 Beryllium

Hi Kevin,

To the left of the system we have USB 2.0 ports which can be used .There are  2 USB 3.0 ports to the right of the system which can be disconnected by un-installation of the driver .But after doing so probability of those 2 ports functioning as USB 2.0 are not certain .

Kind Regards ,

DELL-Jennifer K
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

This did not answer the question.

I am also in the same situation now I searched for the disable USB 3.0 option in the BIOS but there is none. Any updates on this please? DELL Latitude E6230 

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

hello, I hope this answers your question. I was going having the same issue whilst trying to install windows 7 on my inspiron 5448. Well the solution had been suggested already. The usb port on the left is 2.0 whilst the port on the right is 3.0

Mantse-bi

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor