Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2016 18:00

i7 Laptop that hates to shut down and start

I know how to get my i7, 17" laptop to get started from a shut down mode.  I'm getting tired taking out the battery and trying to start it, then re-trying it until it catches.  Is there going to be a free new battery, something to fix this?  I don't want to buy another Dell for my family members with this issue outstanding.

Kevin

2K Posts

November 26th, 2016 05:00

Hi Kevin,

What is the exact system model? 

I assume by your statement - "I know how to get my i7, 17" laptop to get started from a shut down mode." that you are unable to power on the system after a shutdown and you need to remove the battery to power on the system.

Assuming this, does the system power on with adapter only / battery only? Does this happen on every shutdown instance? Does the system restart / hibernate fine? Does it resume from auto sleep / manual sleep fine? Does the system overheat? Are there any bluescreens / system crashes? Are you using original Dell OEM adapter / battery?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1n3X2po - enter the service tag and download the BIOS, update and restart the machine and check.

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional. 

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!