Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2016 08:00

in Windows 10, awoke to Screen image upside-down & mouse response mirrored

(I'm a computer novice plus I'm old -- to anyone who can help me, please bear these things in mind.)Here is my issue:  I fell asleep streaming videos and awoke several hours later to find my computer looked as though it had gone to sleep (dark screen).  I clicked the mouse to wake it up, and saw that first my start-up and then my desktop images were upside down; not only that, when I tried to navigate anywhere on my upside-down desktop, the cursor mirrored my actions, travelling up when I was directing it down and left when I was directing it to go right. This mirrored-action occurred when using either the mouse or the touchpad.

Upside-down image and backward mouse? These have to be related, right?

I've had this laptop less then 2 months, it's an Inspiron 15, 5000 Series, Touch, and I am not finding Cortana's help at all helpful. 

Here is my question: I'd really like to know WHY the image went upside down and WHY the mouse/cursor began responding opposite to directional commands.  Is there an F-Key that my cat maybe stepped on to cause this to happen? (Otherwise I can only think that I have a ghost in the machine.)

My work-around was... I could not figure out how to get anything back to normal, and so I did what any novice would do: system restore. But this seems a little drastic, and I would like to know what could have went wrong, and so to perhaps learn a better way to fix this, in case it happens again.

Thanks, everyone, for any help or suggestions you have for me.  Please try to simplify your responses, recalling that I am very inexperienced, and getting on in years, and not too tech-savvy. I appreciate it.

590 Posts

April 10th, 2016 12:00

To flip/rotate display:

Right-click on desktop -> Display settings -> Orientation

You'll see a several options if you click on the dropdown list, including to flip the display.  See also here for what it looks like.

Pressing three keyboard keys   together may also change display orientation, arrow key being normal.  I believe whether or not this works depends on your graphics card.

No Events found!