Highlighted
dejibyte
Copper

inspiron 15 3542 no audio sound headphones and speakers, drivers ok

i had to format my hard disk after having an unmountable disk error, and reinstall win 10

after installation my sound stopped working 

• i installed realtek drivers, switched to generic and back still no sound even tho in playback devices it shows that sound is coming through
  • i did a epsa audio test from bios and recieved no sound 
  • i opened up the laptop to disconnect and reconnect the speakers but still no sound 
  • also my left speaker had stopped working before re installation, and the audio jack has a bit broken off exposing the metal stick(i dont know maybe this is a problem)

pls i'm at my wits end as ive searched for all information and they not working, i would appreciate any information i can get, thanks in advance for any help, its also hard to get help as i live in west africa, also i'm a student can't afford to change laptop over sound

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jim Coates
Diamond

RE: inspiron 15 3542 no audio sound headphones and speakers, drivers ok

Hello. I replied to your other post yesterday.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/20000413

also my left speaker had stopped working before re installation, and the audio jack has a bit broken off exposing the metal stick(i dont know maybe this is a problem)

That information wasn't in your first thread. That might be why there is no audio through the headphone jack.

In light of this additional information, it is possible that you have 2 issues: broken headphone jack, and an interruption in the audio signal to the speakers. I understand that you reseated the speakers, but the ePSA test proves that the signal is still not getting through, or they have failed.

If the laptop is no longer under warranty, all I can suggest is that reseat the speaker cable again.

As for the headphones, I don't think that the Inspiron 3542 has a jack circuit board, so your best option may be to get a usb audio jack. It only costs a few dollars on Amazon. Don't know about the availability in your area.

Jim Coates -- 14 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos