inspiron-15 gaming-7567 M2 ssd question

Jump to solution

Hi there,

Bought a Inspiron 15 Gaming a week ago with the i7 7700HQ kaby lake cpu,

Comes with:

Intel core  i7 7700HQ kaby lake cpu

16GB DDR4

256GB SSD + 1TB Hard drive

Geforce GTX 1050 ( appears to be a 1050 ti on my order comfirmation ).

1080p screen.

The real question is: Is it upgradeable to a Nvme M2 ssd later on ?, because the 4k screen version with the 512GB ssd has a nvme version in it.

Hope the 15 gaming does work pretty well.

Using a 17R 5720, which is 4 years and 5 months old, but still good battery life. Just lacks of the SATA3 msata and a good graphics chip.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
98 Replies
mcfuzzi
Phosphor

RE: inspiron-15 gaming-7567 M2 ssd question

Jump to solution

I bought the same thing and am currently trying to install a samsung evo 960.  So far no dice.

Installer sees the drive, and installs windows, bios sees the drive and sets what looks like the correct boot options, but when I try to boot I just get "No bootable devices found"  Very disappointed so far.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Ruthenium

Jump to solution

I can only find a 7566 so yours may be different.  On some systems the setting or the SATA can effect how the PCIe drive is handled.  Since it appears to be a PCIe or SATA port you may need the SATA controller set as AHCI in the Bios.  

Could you check your system to see how that is set.  Your having a SATA 2.5 inch drive may limit your possibilities.  While in the Bios, look for any settings related to the M.2 port..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
mcfuzzi
Phosphor

Jump to solution

The bios has 3 options

raid / ahci / off

I set it to ahci since I wasn't going for raid.  I did this without a 2.5" drive installed just the 960 nvme.

Under system configuration -> drives, it is listed as m.2 PCIe SSD-0

Windows seems to install fine, and even creates a Windows boot manager entry in Boot sequence but when you try to boot it says no bootable drive.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I had to reinstall windows 10 using the iso from microsoft and it ran just fine on the M.2 sata ssd.

Bios is set to RAID by standard.

Only changed the max charge level to 65% to save the battery.

0 Kudos
mcfuzzi
Phosphor

Jump to solution

What ssd are you using.  From what I can tell its a bios issue.  It looks like dell ships only one nvme for the insperion.  I am waiting to get my hands on one to test out.  Hopefully I'll have it tomorrow.

At this point I honestly don't think the 960evo works in this system as of now.  Maybe there will be an update in the future but for early adopters it just doesn't seem like it's going to happen

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Ruthenium

Jump to solution

The only thing I might offer is to make sure the Windows Boot Manager is set to first boot priority and if there is a checkbox in the Bios concerning the M.2,make sure it is checked.

If the drive was recognized in the Bios and loaded, it should boot.  I have a XPS 13 9365 I put a Samsung 960 Pro in and it worked OK but yours may be different.

And lastly, you might try RAID since that setting seems to control how the M.2 slot is configured.  RAID will normally be used for a M.2 SATA drive but won't hurt to try.  If it boots you can try changing the controller later.

You did install using the UEFI configuration?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

1. Try to install the boot files onto the internal hard drive if you have one, because the reason behind this is because: I had the exact same issue on my inspiron 17R 5720 when installing Windows 7 / 10 ( legacy bios ). Was recognised in bios and Windows installation, but didn't boot from it.

2. Try if you can add a boot menu option in the bios, so you can boot from the NVMe drive.

The M.2 Sata drive is a Sandisk X400 256GB and a 1TB Toshiba hdd.

http://prnt.sc/e9zxx5

0 Kudos
mcfuzzi
Phosphor

Jump to solution

I tried accident and raid both.  The drive was formatted gpt.  I also updated tithe latest bios and the latest firmware from Samsung.

Uefi boot is setup and shows the correct info pointing to the 960 just won't boot.  I also tried putting a 2.5 850 sad in making it the primary and using Linux to boot the windows drive.  Still failed.

It's really strange because I can mount the nvme drive read / write to it.  Just won't boot.

I should have a different nvme tonight that dell lists as compatible so I'll see what happens

0 Kudos
mcfuzzi
Phosphor

Jump to solution

At this point I have to assume its an issue with dells bios and samsung 960 evo.  I have installed a different nvme drive oczrd400 and everything works as expected

0 Kudos