January 31st, 2017 11:00

inspiron-15 gaming-7567 M2 ssd question

Hi there,

Bought a Inspiron 15 Gaming a week ago with the i7 7700HQ kaby lake cpu,

Comes with:

Intel core  i7 7700HQ kaby lake cpu

16GB DDR4

256GB SSD + 1TB Hard drive

Geforce GTX 1050 ( appears to be a 1050 ti on my order comfirmation ).

1080p screen.

The real question is: Is it upgradeable to a Nvme M2 ssd later on ?, because the 4k screen version with the 512GB ssd has a nvme version in it.

Hope the 15 gaming does work pretty well.

Using a 17R 5720, which is 4 years and 5 months old, but still good battery life. Just lacks of the SATA3 msata and a good graphics chip.

1 Attachment

March 31st, 2017 04:00

Good Morning,

Dell just released an update of bios, version: 1.0.5. HAEHEAHHAEHAE

I just formatted the computer and installed windows 10 in AHCI mode.

Everything is working wonderfully.

Thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 25th, 2017 10:00

Sorry, but just to clarify, you are running an NVMe drive on a laptop that originally came without one, after the bios update?

I am saying, my system came with a M.2 PCIe drive which was being run as a SATA drive.  At that time the Bios did not have a usable driver for the PCIe version of the drive.  The bios update added that driver and now supports a PCIe NVMe drive.  I am currently using a Samsung 960 EVO running as PCIe.

In order for the system to see the PCIe controller, it has to be run with the SATA controller being set to AHCI.

I cannot comment of M.2 SATA drives and their compatibility.

11 Posts

February 16th, 2017 19:00

I bought the same thing and am currently trying to install a samsung evo 960.  So far no dice.

Installer sees the drive, and installs windows, bios sees the drive and sets what looks like the correct boot options, but when I try to boot I just get "No bootable devices found"  Very disappointed so far.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 16th, 2017 20:00

I can only find a 7566 so yours may be different.  On some systems the setting or the SATA can effect how the PCIe drive is handled.  Since it appears to be a PCIe or SATA port you may need the SATA controller set as AHCI in the Bios.  

Could you check your system to see how that is set.  Your having a SATA 2.5 inch drive may limit your possibilities.  While in the Bios, look for any settings related to the M.2 port..

11 Posts

February 16th, 2017 20:00

The bios has 3 options

raid / ahci / off

I set it to ahci since I wasn't going for raid.  I did this without a 2.5" drive installed just the 960 nvme.

Under system configuration -> drives, it is listed as m.2 PCIe SSD-0

Windows seems to install fine, and even creates a Windows boot manager entry in Boot sequence but when you try to boot it says no bootable drive.

February 17th, 2017 01:00

I had to reinstall windows 10 using the iso from microsoft and it ran just fine on the M.2 sata ssd.

Bios is set to RAID by standard.

Only changed the max charge level to 65% to save the battery.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 17th, 2017 07:00

The only thing I might offer is to make sure the Windows Boot Manager is set to first boot priority and if there is a checkbox in the Bios concerning the M.2,make sure it is checked.

If the drive was recognized in the Bios and loaded, it should boot.  I have a XPS 13 9365 I put a Samsung 960 Pro in and it worked OK but yours may be different.

And lastly, you might try RAID since that setting seems to control how the M.2 slot is configured.  RAID will normally be used for a M.2 SATA drive but won't hurt to try.  If it boots you can try changing the controller later.

You did install using the UEFI configuration?

11 Posts

February 17th, 2017 07:00

What ssd are you using.  From what I can tell its a bios issue.  It looks like dell ships only one nvme for the insperion.  I am waiting to get my hands on one to test out.  Hopefully I'll have it tomorrow.

At this point I honestly don't think the 960evo works in this system as of now.  Maybe there will be an update in the future but for early adopters it just doesn't seem like it's going to happen

February 17th, 2017 09:00

1. Try to install the boot files onto the internal hard drive if you have one, because the reason behind this is because: I had the exact same issue on my inspiron 17R 5720 when installing Windows 7 / 10 ( legacy bios ). Was recognised in bios and Windows installation, but didn't boot from it.

2. Try if you can add a boot menu option in the bios, so you can boot from the NVMe drive.

The M.2 Sata drive is a Sandisk X400 256GB and a 1TB Toshiba hdd.

http://prnt.sc/e9zxx5

11 Posts

February 17th, 2017 10:00

I tried accident and raid both.  The drive was formatted gpt.  I also updated tithe latest bios and the latest firmware from Samsung.

Uefi boot is setup and shows the correct info pointing to the 960 just won't boot.  I also tried putting a 2.5 850 sad in making it the primary and using Linux to boot the windows drive.  Still failed.

It's really strange because I can mount the nvme drive read / write to it.  Just won't boot.

I should have a different nvme tonight that dell lists as compatible so I'll see what happens

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 17th, 2017 16:00

Let's go over some things.  When you installed Win 10 you used a Microsoft Install Media.  You went into your bios settings and set SATA to AHCI or Disabled.

You then booted the x64 install media as UEFI.  You then proceeded with the install and chose the Samsung drive for the install.  Partitions were set up, 4 are required, so the install went normally.

When you were done, the system rebooted but would not go into Windows..  And the other drive had been disconnected during this entire process

Using F12 key during boot does present a boot device menu but the Windows Boot Manager is not present of does not allow booting if selected?

If part of this process is not correct, which part?

Do you have a link to the downloads page for that system...?

11 Posts

February 17th, 2017 16:00

At this point I have to assume its an issue with dells bios and samsung 960 evo.  I have installed a different nvme drive oczrd400 and everything works as expected

11 Posts

February 17th, 2017 17:00

The rd400 works just fine for what I need and amazon will take the evo 960 back so I am content.

Thanks for trying to help though!

11 Posts

This was all done with only the 960 evo installed.

In bios I made sure uefi boot was set, i even disable legacy(tried it enabled as well)

Set the sate to AHCI

Used win 10 64bit bit from usb 3.0

Installer came up fine booting from usb, saw the disk selected it, the installer created the 4 partitions needed and ran through the install with no issues.

Rebooted the machine removed usb

When the system came back up it said there was no bootable device, I rebooted again hit f12 to see what was there.  It shows the windows boot manager as a option selected it, after about 15 seconds same result, no bootable device.

Rebooted again looked in the bios, in the boot sequence it shows windows boot manager, when I view it it all looks good, points to a pci device(the 960 evo) and has the correct path for the boot file.  Tried rebooting same result.

It could be I have a bad 960 not sure.

I even tried injecting samsungs drivers into the windows install.

Later I installed to a regular ssd (850 evo)  Updated the laptop bios, and updated the firmware for the card using samsungs tool(samsung magician)

I could also see the drive attached to the system, was able to partition / format read write to it.

I have no idea what is causing this weirdness, bad evo, something missing in bios?  The oczrd400 I tried tonight went smooth as butter installed just like you would expect and booted right up.

I should also note, I also tried installing fedora 25 on the evo 960 after playing with windows for a few hours.  I got the same result in fedora, install looks like it goes smooth, go to reboot and no bootable drive found.

Driver page: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/drivers

11 Posts

Why now is this all of a sudden a moderated forum?

No Events found!