January 31st, 2017 11:00

inspiron-15 gaming-7567 M2 ssd question

Hi there,

Bought a Inspiron 15 Gaming a week ago with the i7 7700HQ kaby lake cpu,

Comes with:

Intel core  i7 7700HQ kaby lake cpu

16GB DDR4

256GB SSD + 1TB Hard drive

Geforce GTX 1050 ( appears to be a 1050 ti on my order comfirmation ).

1080p screen.

The real question is: Is it upgradeable to a Nvme M2 ssd later on ?, because the 4k screen version with the 512GB ssd has a nvme version in it.

Hope the 15 gaming does work pretty well.

Using a 17R 5720, which is 4 years and 5 months old, but still good battery life. Just lacks of the SATA3 msata and a good graphics chip.

1 Attachment

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 6th, 2017 19:00

You can disable the Support assistant in the Bios, you might check.  When I run the ePSA is shows as initializing the PCIe but does not show the drive.  If I set the drive to use SATA, it does see the drive.

I saw a note once concerning if the drive is installed in a certain configuration it can only be used as a Data drive and will not boot.  I do not remember what the configuration was.

You have installed a 960 Pro on another system, so you know how it works.  If it isn't working you need to push Dell to tell you why.  They probably know or should be able to test for you.  Since the system "says" it is PCIe/NVMe compatible, maybe that info is out of date

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 6th, 2017 22:00

And you cannot change modes on an already installed OS, it corrupts it.

Not actually correct.  We have been using a process which works fine.  I have done it several times in the last couple of weeks.

When in Windows, start msconfig.exe and set it to boot to SAFE mode.  Restart the system and go into the Bios to change the SATA setting.  After saving that setting, allow the system to boot into SAFE mode. 

Once in SAFE mode, open msconfig.exe again and set it back to a Normal boot and ensure the Safe Mode checkmark was removed.  Reboot the system into normal Windows and the controller will be changed.  What was SATA is not NVMe, but do not let the Standard NVMe to remain in control, install the NVMe driver for that OEM drive.

For some reason, on your system, even this may not allow the drive to be recognized during boot.

9 Posts

March 6th, 2017 22:00

You CAN install the drive in RAID mode BUT the Samsung Software will not work with it like this, which means no updates to the drive.

And you cannot change modes on an already installed OS, it corrupts it.

9 Posts

March 7th, 2017 10:00

Interesting work around, but honestly I would prefer Dell to resolve the issue outright. This seems like something that needs attention.

March 7th, 2017 11:00

Has anyone done the bios update ? There is not much changed, besides nvidia graphics performance as it says in the description.

I have done the bios update after the post. It does only take about 2 minutes, but have it connected to AC power when doing this. It warns the user for it.

March 8th, 2017 01:00

Update: Dell Netherlands has send me a list with tested SSD'S ( NVME and SATA )

image.prntscr.com/.../f2b8ff6827db48bda031de3f79d025cd.jpeg

March 12th, 2017 08:00

Hi Dan,

I purchased a dell inspiron 15 gaming 7567 few days ago, I did similar upgrade as yours as such will share my experience with you. Hope i helps.

My Laptop Default Config:

• i5 kaby lake
  • 4gb ddr 4 24000 ram
  • 1050gtx card
  • 1tb 5400rpm (painfully slow it took close to 45 to 60 second plus to load windows)

My upgade:

• Samsung Pro 950 256GB (Cost: 196 euro)
  • Adata 16GB 24000Mhz (Cost: 107 euro)

*Note: I removed my 4gb Ram and installed 16gb as based on suggestion read on multiple blogs and youtube to enhance the performance

Experience:

The first time I boot up after installing the upgrade, it straight away brings me to hardware changes detected page and run few test before I can load the windows.

Upon logging in I checked device manager and the ssd is detected. Installed Samsung magician software as well as data migration software. Here is where I become panic as Samsung magician do not detect my ssd even though windows device manager detect it. I google and end up in this page as well. It seems like currently the bios setting might not able to support pcie 3x4 channel yet.

However the data migration software able to detect the drive and I just use that to complete the cloning of my windows. The cloning went well and i need to shut down to switch the boot option, for me the only way is to disconnect the traditional hard drive.

Once boot up my windows load is less than 12 seconds and run a crystal disk mark test and i get an average of 2220mb read and 920mb write speed on Samsung Pro 950. 

Installed Fifa 17 and the game load in less than 15 second.

Total Verdict

With 16gb ram and NVMe drive the system perform incredibly fast and the game playing experience is very good. Day to day task is a lot faster than using traditional hard drive. 16gb ram is advisable if you are a heavy user for example I am an IT guy whereby monday to friday I will use my laptop primarily for work with requires me high computing memory due to the application that I run.

If you are just using for gaming and light home usage then 8gb ram is good enough but hey the laptop can support up to 32gb so why settle for less ;)

Downside

Unable to use samsung magician software to track the usage of my NVMe drive, but still can use third party software like crystal disk info to track the usage.

Hope this helps

Regards from Malaysia,

Shan Sharma

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 12th, 2017 18:00

Do yourself a favor and open Device Manager and check the Storage Controllers.  Does it show a SATA RAID or NVMe?  If it shows NVMe, does it show Standard NVNe or Samsung NVMe?

March 12th, 2017 20:00

Hi Saltgras,

As checked device manager it shows SATA RAID and Microsoft storage space controller

While checking crytal disk info it is showing Transfer mode *PCIE 0.0 x0* wherby I did not get 3x4 as it suppose to be for samsung nvme. I am not sure if it is because dell bios still not able to support it.

8 Posts

March 13th, 2017 04:00

Installing the drive in RAID mode will work, but changing this to AHCI will not work, the NVME drive is not detected any more after the setup is adjusted in the BIOS, result BSOD

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 13th, 2017 08:00

If the system shows the drive as SATA RAID then it is running in a SATA configuration.  

Another thing you can look at is to highlight the drive in Device Manager and then select the View by connection option.  It will show what controller the drive is using, see attachment.

This system specifically states it is capable of PCIe NVMe operation but other users have failed to get it to work.  I do not have that system, so I cannot test.

The unit I have is running a Samsumg 960 Pro only so a second, 2.5 inch SATA drive does not interfere.

In order for a drive to install as PCIe, you have to install in UEFI mode.  If the system was capable, this would also mean the SATA controllers would need to be set to AHCI in the Bios.

If you wanted to try, we could switch the controller but it may cause you boot problems if the system will not work with the NVMe controller or the other drive interferes.  Also, if the system came with the OS installed on another drive it could cause problems, so disconnecting any other drive for testing would be a good option.

I believe the procedure using msconfig.exe to change the controller is mentioned in the thread but if not we con go over that.  It involves changing the SATA controller to AHCI since using RAID seems to set the M.2 drive to use SATA..

March 13th, 2017 11:00

I did tried to change the from sata to achi via bios but windows didnt load hence i need to change back to sata so that i can load windows. my second drive is already disconnected i am only using 950 drive now but sad that samsung magician cannot detect it and nvme driver cannot be installed. i logged case with dell they ask me to update bios and chipset. still after updating that no improvement

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 13th, 2017 11:00

Well, the system may just not work, as others have found.

But if it is running as SATA, software designed to run on a NVMe controller probably can't see it since that controller is not in use.

2 Posts

March 13th, 2017 20:00

I think I found the solution!  I had this same problem installing the Samsung 960 Evo on the Dell 7567.  It would not recognize the drive so I turned off the secure boot.  It was then recognized so I restored my Acronis Image.  Acronis warned me it would not boot afterwards--and it did not.  So, I turned the secure boot back on, and it works like a charm!

26 Posts

March 14th, 2017 03:00

Could you please check that which SATA Driver is being used now in your system? The problem here is 960 EVO could not be recognized with AHCI mode.

It works with RAID On mode, but then Samsung Driver and Magician Software could not recognize the SSD because Windows uses Intel SATA Driver instead.

No Events found!