January 31st, 2017 11:00

inspiron-15 gaming-7567 M2 ssd question

Hi there,

Bought a Inspiron 15 Gaming a week ago with the i7 7700HQ kaby lake cpu,

Comes with:

Intel core  i7 7700HQ kaby lake cpu

16GB DDR4

256GB SSD + 1TB Hard drive

Geforce GTX 1050 ( appears to be a 1050 ti on my order comfirmation ).

1080p screen.

The real question is: Is it upgradeable to a Nvme M2 ssd later on ?, because the 4k screen version with the 512GB ssd has a nvme version in it.

Hope the 15 gaming does work pretty well.

Using a 17R 5720, which is 4 years and 5 months old, but still good battery life. Just lacks of the SATA3 msata and a good graphics chip.

1 Attachment

8 Posts

March 18th, 2017 03:00

I want to buy Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming (7567), N-7567-N2-716K

Will work NVMe drive Samsung SSD 960 EVO (M.2) - 250 gigabytes?

Can you tell me the video card, this model. Somewhere write the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB somewhere NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4 gigabytes

In my Dell Inspiron 7720 after installing mSATA SSD (after removing 2x HDD) windows was not running well. I had to install the HDD back, a notebook stored on the HDD boot partition and the system comes in from the mSATA SSD

_____________________________________________________________________________________

March 18th, 2017 04:00

Had the same issue as you just described here.

BUT you should read the other answers from people who tried the Evo 960.

March 18th, 2017 07:00

Hi,

I had the same issue as yours with my Samsung pro 950. I was able to clone the windows from hard drive to nvme drive and windows load perfectly fine but Samsung magician cannot detect it.

As checked my bios was on raid on mode, the problem is that if I change the bios to ahci then windows won't load :(

Since I just bought the laptop and it comes with 2-year premium warranty, I raise a case with dell, they check and let me know that SSD is from the third party, you need to check with them and blah blah blah.

I told them the same SSD works well in hp omen and MSI. I ask them how to change the bios to achi as currently if i change to achi windows don't load. They mentioned that since I copy the windows from the previous drive in which windows was installed in a raid on mode the same configuration was brought over to Samsung nvme hence if I want to use ahci I need to reinstall the windows.

Here is what I did, I create a USB recovery disk(you can download the recovery software from dell site and need at least 8gb of free space) of current windows.

Then I went on to change bios mode to ahci and save it. Note that your windows won't load. Hence you will need to change the boot order to your USB drive and reinstall windows to your nvme drive.

Once installation completed and windows are setup install Samsung nvme driver and Samsung magician. Now your drive should be able to be detected by Samsung software. Below is my drive details after I reinstall windows in ahci mode:

26 Posts

March 19th, 2017 04:00

Hi my friend, but the problem is that: If I set the SATA setup in BIOS to AHCI then the laptop COULD NOT see the SSD drive, and the Windows Installation could not neither. How did you manage to install Windows to SSD drive using Recovery USB?

26 Posts

March 19th, 2017 04:00

Here is the list of configurations www.dell.com/.../inspiron-15-7567-laptop

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 19th, 2017 08:00

Depending on where you looked, it may simply be that the setup doesn't have an entry for booting from the drive.  Without that it won't appear in your boot list.

And the drive being NVMe, WILL REQUIRE that you insert the NVMe driver into the Windows 10 boot process before the installer will see it.  To do that, download the driver from Samsung (link below) and put it on a flash drive.  Pause the install with F6 when indicated and load that driver.  The installer will then see the NVMe drive and continue.  Same deal if trying to clone a RAID-set drive to a native AHCI/NVMe drive - won't work.

If you're using recovery media generated from a RAID-set system, it WILL NOT properly install in native NVMe mode.

The Samsung NVMe driver is in the "driver" section below

www.samsung.com/.../tools.html

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 19th, 2017 09:00

If there is a SATA hard drive (or another 2.5" SATA SSD in the system, make sure you remove it before you do the installation.

As for the "not true" above, it depends on the release of Windows 10 you're using -- but you're better off using the Samsung NVMe driver than the native Windows one anyway.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN301036/windows-10-install-with-nvme-ssd-and-sata-drives?lang=EN

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

And the drive being NVMe, WILL REQUIRE that you insert the NVMe driver into the Windows 10 boot process before the installer will see it.

This is not true........ take it from someone who has actually done it..

26 Posts

Do you have Facebook? You can find me "pnmr560" on Facebook. We can chat via Facebook and find a solution for Samsung SSD with Dell 7567, then we can make a guide for our friends to upgrade their laptop with Samsung SSD.

26 Posts

Of course, I have only one ssd drive in my laptop. After the black screen with message There is no boot device I insert the Windows 10 setup USB flash and began setup Windows again. This time the setup sees the ssd with partitions on it. That means Windows 10 has beed successfully installed with Nvme driver, but AHCI setting in the BiOS prevents the laptop to boot from SSD.

26 Posts

I changed SATA setup in BIOS to AHCI, did a fresh Windows 10 installation from USB with Samsung Driver Load. The installation process went without problem, but when the computer restarted it said that There is no boot device.

Hi pnmr560,

You mentioned {quote}
the problem is that: If I set the SATA setup in BIOS to AHCI then the laptop COULD NOT see the SSD drive,
and the Windows Installation could not either. How did you manage to install Windows to SSD drive using Recovery USB?
{quote}

I am not sure how is the bios setup at your end, but for me once I set to achi my windows do not load hence I went back to bios and change
my boot order to the USB drive. Note that at boot order i can see my usb drive and samsung nvme ssd. Next i boot up again my computer and now it boot from
my usb whereby i have option to reinstall windows and i choose that option to reinstall my windows.

Can you let me know:
# Currently in raid on mode are you able to detect your samsung ssd via disk management?

# Did you change back the boot order after reinstallation?

# have you removed any other sata drive that is inside your laptop?

can you provide your screenshot of error message so that i can check if i got the same error message as yours?

26 Posts

March 19th, 2017 22:00

Here is what I did step-by-step without any luck. The SSD is formatted as GPT.

1. With RAID On: Windows boot normally, but driver Intel is used and the result is that Samsung's driver and Magician Software can not detect the SSD.

26 Posts

and then I started fresh install Windows 10 from USB:

Choose Custom Installation:

Windows Setup sees the SSD drive:

But I choose Load Driver any way, and let it uses Samsung NVMe driver which I put on the USB flash:

then delete all partitions:

Windows installation started:

26 Posts

2. I unplug the HDD so that only 1 SSD is being used:

in BIOS settings > SATA Operation I set to AHCI:

Disable SATA-0, SATA-1, only Enable M.2 PCIe SSD-0

Secure Boot = Disabled

Legacy Option ROMs = Enabled

No Events found!