January 31st, 2017 11:00

inspiron-15 gaming-7567 M2 ssd question

Hi there,

Bought a Inspiron 15 Gaming a week ago with the i7 7700HQ kaby lake cpu,

Comes with:

Intel core  i7 7700HQ kaby lake cpu

16GB DDR4

256GB SSD + 1TB Hard drive

Geforce GTX 1050 ( appears to be a 1050 ti on my order comfirmation ).

1080p screen.

The real question is: Is it upgradeable to a Nvme M2 ssd later on ?, because the 4k screen version with the 512GB ssd has a nvme version in it.

Hope the 15 gaming does work pretty well.

Using a 17R 5720, which is 4 years and 5 months old, but still good battery life. Just lacks of the SATA3 msata and a good graphics chip.

1 Attachment

26 Posts

March 19th, 2017 22:00

Finishing up:

Restart to continue:

and error:

Then I went to BIOS setting, set SSD as the first and the only boot device:

Save and exit, then F12 to choose SSD as boot device:

But this time another error:

I don't know what to do next. So said.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 20th, 2017 08:00

A couple of things I see.  No need to take off Secure Boot.  The system has to boot as UEFI to use the Bios drivers.  The fact you show you system set to Legacy Boot, throws an unknown into the test.

Try disabling the SATA controller.

Do not add a driver during the install.  That may actually defeat the purpose.  If the system cannot install to the M.2 drive using the built-in driver then the system is not PCIe compatible, assuming the 960 EVO is not part of the problem.

When you get back to the Install you can clean the drive in two ways, like you did or use Shift+F10 to open a command prompt and use the Diskpart clean command.

The resulting install and reboot should be normal, assuming this system is PCIe capable.  I am wondering if there is some international configuration involved or maybe only the NEW 15s are capable.  Other folks have tested, and as far as I know, failed...

9 Posts

March 20th, 2017 10:00

After many different tests we gave up and ended up returning them. Clearly the new Inspiron 15 and the Samsung 960 line are not meant to play together.

We ended up buying Razer Blade's instead...they work perfectly with the Samsung 960 line!

March 20th, 2017 11:00

Hi pnmr560,

I agree with saltgrass, you need to make sure system have UEFI boot and not legacy boot. At the same time just to let you know my secure boot was enabled and on your screenshot for drivers I saw that on only checked m2 pcie but at my end i let all 3 to be checked as default I did not make any changes here.

Yes i do have facebook but sorry not an active facebookers  but i am located in malaysia if you are around here we can meet up whereby i can have a look at your settings

26 Posts

March 21st, 2017 20:00

So said but Dell Support Agent told me that there is a compatibility issue between Samsung 960 SSD line with Dell 7567 and there will be NO fix.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 21st, 2017 20:00

So said but Dell Support Agent told me that there is a compatibility issue between Samsung 960 SSD line with Dell 7567 and there will be NO fix.

You stated in your post, the drive was recognized but you loaded the Samsung driver anyway... Did you try the install without installing that driver??????  I have NEVER loaded a special driver for a M.2 PCIe drive.

The Inspiron Gaming system is different from the other Inspirons since it does say it is PCIe NVMe compatible.  Maybe the Dell engineers are wrong and are unwilling to defend their reputations.  Those engineers in the testing lab could install one of their OEM PCIe drives just to see if one of them would work. If they can't get one of their OEM drives to work then their claims are incorrect.  If those drives work then the Samsung drives should work.  I think I have just removed their cover of using the Dell doesn't support the Samsung drive..

Dell labs, test the OEM drive or send me one of the units so I can test the Samsung drive.  I will even buy the drive......!!!!!!!  Your reputation and credibility are on the line.....!

26 Posts

March 21st, 2017 21:00

With Windows Boot Manager the result is still the same:

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

What I suggested was to disable SATA.  What your attachments show me is Secure Boot is off and you are doing a Legacy boot instead of the Windows Boot Manger....

If you boot the Install Media and the drive does not show at all then there is nothing you can do.  But you stated the drive showed in the Install process and you loaded the Samsung drivers anyway.

I really don't want to spend $1500 on a computer, I don't want, and another $350 for the Samsung drive.  But I am going to do that if you guys can't get this worked out.  The system says it is PCIe NVMe compatible.  It is (you know what) for the support folks to tell you it is Samsung's problem and no fix will be available.

Again, the Samsung drive works fine on my XPS 9365.  Dell needs to prove their advertising is accurate.  

26 Posts

Saltgrass

The Samsung 960 EVO drive is detected in BIOS:

I have tried as you suggested:

Change SATA Operation to AHCI,

leave Secure Boot as Enabled

set Boot Sequence as UEFI:

Enable all Drives as Default:

and install Windows 10 WITHOUT loading additional driver.

But the result is likely the same. This time it did not say "No bootable device found" but Windows still could not boot.

Press F2, set Secure Boot to Disabled, then F12:

This time another message:

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

You should not have responded.  The situation is now between myself and Dell.  Their credibility is on the line.

Your install was contaminated and I cannot know for sure where you are.... sorry, but I warned you not to use the Samsung drivers until after Windows was installed.

4 Posts

March 23rd, 2017 21:00

I looked up the specs sheets between the 960 Evo/Pro and the 950 Pro so I found some difference on the Controller and Interface NVMe version

950 Pro

Interface: PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 (NVMe 1.1)

Controller: Samsung UBX

960 Evo/Pro

Interface: PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 (NVMe 1.2)

Controller: Samsung Polaris

I don't know if this info about the ssd will help or not

has anyone tried different NVMe ssd Brands to see if it's having the same issue or is it only the 960 Evo/Pro?

26 Posts

March 24th, 2017 09:00

Finally I gave up and exchange the 960 EVO for an OEM SSD from Samsung named SM951. Works like a charm in AHCI mode, and Samsung NVMe driver was installed without problem.

DO NOT BUY SAMSUNG EVO/PRO 960, MY FRIENDS!!! IT DOES NOT PLAY WITH DELL 7567, AT LEAST UNTILL NOW!

1 Message

March 30th, 2017 05:00

Hi there, I am here to ask for an advise.  I am planning to buy Dell 7567.  I am aware pnmr560 has answered SM 951 works well but  I have a spare Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB - M.2 SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-N5E500BW) with me. Will this work? I am sorry my question is a bit off topic.

March 30th, 2017 12:00

I guess it will work, because it's not a NVMe ssd.

March 30th, 2017 16:00

Good evening,

First of all, sorry for my English.

After almost a month of testing, I believe 99.99% sure that the problem is in the bios of the computer, and can be solved with a dell upgrade.

I did several tests with the configuration in AHCI mode, anyway the same problem occurs in windows boot, crash boot.

After verifying several people claiming that the computer did not support this type of driver (SSD Samsung 960 Evo), I decided to install the windows on the other HD of the notebook, AHCI mode. (Toshiba 1TB)

After installing the OS, I decided to install the NVME driver from Samsung and Samsung Magician.

Everything works "perfectly", of course that windows is not starting on the SSD 960 Evo, but it is clear that the computer supports the device.

Below 3 pictures showing the Samsung SSD (960 Evo) running perfectly.

I found this link where the same boot problem appears: www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html

The author shows how to customize bios to support this type of device, but I'm afraid to continue.

Does anyone qualify?

No Events found!