January 31st, 2017 11:00

inspiron-15 gaming-7567 M2 ssd question

Hi there,

Bought a Inspiron 15 Gaming a week ago with the i7 7700HQ kaby lake cpu,

Comes with:

Intel core  i7 7700HQ kaby lake cpu

16GB DDR4

256GB SSD + 1TB Hard drive

Geforce GTX 1050 ( appears to be a 1050 ti on my order comfirmation ).

1080p screen.

The real question is: Is it upgradeable to a Nvme M2 ssd later on ?, because the 4k screen version with the 512GB ssd has a nvme version in it.

Hope the 15 gaming does work pretty well.

Using a 17R 5720, which is 4 years and 5 months old, but still good battery life. Just lacks of the SATA3 msata and a good graphics chip.

1 Attachment

41 Posts

June 19th, 2017 13:00

Thanks for the responses.  Would the USB recovery maker in Windows 10 allow me to do a fresh install?

25 Posts

June 19th, 2017 22:00

@SmoothSL I had the same problem as yours, I did Windows 10 Recovery (not Dell Factory Image restore).  My explanation here.

en.community.dell.com/.../20006321

July 19th, 2017 19:00

Guys, I have a question here. I installed Samsung 960 Evo, changed the boot mode to ahci and did a fresh install.

Now it is booting up using the Samsung 960 Evo but it is not showing my original hard drive.

What could be the problem over here?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 19th, 2017 21:00

Guys, I have a question here. I installed Samsung 960 Evo, changed the boot mode to ahci and did a fresh install.

Now it is booting up using the Samsung 960 Evo but it is not showing my original hard drive.

What could be the problem over here?

If your original drive was a 2.5 inch, it was configured as RAID.  That being the case, you needed to convert it to AHCI before doing anything else. 

What you do now is up to you.  You may be able to remove the M.2 drive and set the SATA back to RAID to get the system to boot back to that drive.  You could then use the SAFE Mode from msconfig.exe procedure to change its controller.

If that works, it is not a good idea to have two boot capable drives on a system unless you are going to dual boot, and in such a case you would have to pick the boot drive when you boot if you wanted to boot to the other one.

26 Posts

July 20th, 2017 03:00

Take a screenshot of Computer Management as mine to check if Windows can still recognize the original HDD or not:

July 21st, 2017 14:00

Windows does not recognizes the original hard Drive. It is not showing me the original hard drive.

I removed the m.2 hard drive and tried recovering the original hard drive, but it fails to install the OS in the original hard drive. It failed in both AHCI and RAID mode.

The error message which I got was "The drive where windows is installed is locked.

Not able to proceed.

Also, it is not booting up from the original hard drive.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 21st, 2017 15:00

Coming into the end of a long thread like this can cause confusion about your specific configuration.  Since the same can have different configurations, maybe it would be best if you started a new thread and described your original configuration and what you did to change it.  Right now, I am not sure as to what original drive you are referring to.

1 Message

October 16th, 2017 08:00

Hi,

Anyone here was able to get 960 EVO worked out on Inspiron 15 7579?

The current one is a Micron 1100 and is died. So before getting a new one I was thinking to get 960 EVO.

No Events found!