Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2010 18:00

inspiron 1525 spilled tea on it!

Hey guys i spilled a large quantity of tea onto my inspiron.. i immediately tried to clear it up and opend up the laptop (my first mistake) ... neways i have dried up the laptop and i can switch it on...it comes up to the loading part u knw the blue DELL sign and the loading bar underneath, however when it tries to load it comes up with the message that the "internal hard drive is not detected".. the motherboard is clearly not messed up otherwise surely there would be no loading bar and instead it'll just be blank right? I just want to know what is the problem....i have come to terms with the fact that i may need to buy a new laptop (of course if there is a way i dont have to it will be gr8) but i want to know if my hard drive is messed...i dont think it is as there wasnt much tea in that area and i want to knw what steps i shud take to access my harddrive... i mean is there any other dell inspiron models which have the same slot for the hard drive so i can buy it and connect my old hard drive to access it

also another problem i have is my keyboard...i removed this to clear the gunk and tea and what not off it however im not quite sure how to connect it back...there is one wire which i connect but still the computer is not registering the keys that i am pressing ( i know this as i tried to press the f2 and f5 and f12 buttons it tells me to when the hard drive is not detected)

Any hbelp would be greatly appreciated. the main importance is to recover the data on the hard drive as it has a lot of my university work on it and i need it! please help me !!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 29th, 2010 18:00

Remove the hard drive, mount it in a 2.5" external enclosure and see if you can read it using another system.

From the sound of it, you may be able to just replace the keyboard and hard drive to repair the system.  If the hard drive does read in another system however, that suggests the controller -- not the drive -- is bad - which would mean a replacement system board.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 30th, 2010 16:00

You need to take ownership of the files - how this is done depends on the operating system and version.

3 Posts

i did what you said and mounted my hard drive onto an external 2.5" enclosure...i have tried to read it on my sisters laptop, a dell inspiron 1720..it does come up with the hard drive and i can access it however it takes very long to access the files and once i try and get thru to my user file, it begins to take forever and i cannot seem to get into my documents and stuff....also as i try to access my hard drive there is a notice saying that i dont have permission to access the files and i must press continue to try and bypass it but again it does not load and instead it is just taking its time....obviously the hard drive is intact as if it was fried then i would not be able to access it at all...what should i do to access the files?

3 Posts

both operating systems are windows vista...how would i go on to take ownership

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 30th, 2010 17:00

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/25/how-to-take-ownership-and-grant-permissions-in-windows-vista/

No Events found!