Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

March 21st, 2010 17:00

inspiron 1525

switches itself off on battery or mains, any ideas?

64 Posts

March 21st, 2010 20:00

:emotion-2:Wow not much to go on,but maybe the battery is not getting a good charge so its below a certain level and thats why its shutting down...If you could give more info might be able to help better,...like what os,32 or 64bit,ram....etc..

5 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 02:00

sorry, I`m a bit computer illiterate. Intel (r) core. 2 duo T5750 @ 2.0 ghz. Ram 2gb.  32bit  vista home premium,

We`ve noticed that it also gets much hotter than the other laptops we have, i`ve wondered if it was overheating

64 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 09:00

:emotion-2:Ok the first thing i would do is if it will stay on long enough,i would run the diagnostics disk.You said its getting hot,by hot ,do you mean you could fry an egg hot,or you can touch it with out getting bur'nt hot.Anyways when its hot are any fans coming on to try to cool it off....whats getting hot,the battery or  somewhere else on the notebook. Its aparently shutting down due to over heating.......

1.  I think you might have a dead cpu fan,unless its kicking in to cool it off.

2. If its your battery that is getting hot,take it out right away,and get a replacement.

3. If your computer is under warrenty ,contact dell right away.

4. Check to make sure all vents on the machine are not clogged with lint.

Hope this helps if not let us no....

5 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 12:00

hi, thanks for that,

It can stay on for anything up to 1,2,3, hours, and i can hear the fan running all the time.

Gets hot underneath, not red hot but uncomfortable on your leg, maybe i`m blocking the vents but isnt it suposed to be a LAPTOP?

Ran it on battery only last night and ran for 2 hours before battery went flat

Left it on the coffee table today along with a HP and a Sony vaio, dell was the only one to turn off!

Warranty ran-out last november so its around 15months old

Thanks for any replies

64 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 20:00

:emotion-2:Ok so sounds like its not a battery or fan issue,and yes they can get hot to where your lap cant take it, thats some what normal with the speed of the cpu's now a days.it might be a software issue,have you tried updateing to the latest bios from the dell suport web site,give that a try,you can also download the dianosic and run that.Give that a try and let us no how you make out.

No Events found!