Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 9th, 2013 17:00

inspiron 15r won't completely shut down

Hi all,

for the past two months my laptop hasn't been able to shut down all the way.

What happens: I click shut down it logs out and the screen goes black.

It seems to shut down but the power button light , and the front power light stays on.

The only time it will successfully shut down is when I restart the laptop.

I hope someone has an answer to this. thanks!

P.S (There was a period where I took out the battery and used it like a desktop. maybe that has something to contribute)

1 Message

August 27th, 2013 17:00

I had some of the same problem. I'm working on a friends N5010 (1545) laptop and no matter what I did the laptop wouldn't shut down and the CPU fan would continuously run right from start up. I would go to the "start" button and shut down as usual. However the laptop would continue to run even though the hard drive light was off. Only the power light remained. I even installed different versions of the operating system in hopes that the back-up image from the discs I was using may have been corrupt and causing a problem. I searched other forums and found a response to a similar enquiry that said to remove the CMOS battery and re-install it. I disassembled the laptop, removed the battery (which I may add was on the very bottom, I had to remove the motherboard and flip it over) and then insert the battery again. Since I had the entire thing disassembled, I changed out the battery just in case instead of just re-installing it. After reassembling and re-installing the factory image from the back-up disc, everything runs fine. This worked for me and may work for you, if you haven't already resolved your problem.

September 21st, 2014 08:00

I had the same problem for the last two years...tried various things...but nothing worked out....
The one thing that worked was changing the CMOS battery. It is very unlikely but this worked. Now my computer shuts down normally..no longer i have to wait around to shut down by pressing the power button. Hope it works out for you all.. Cheers

1.1K Posts

March 9th, 2013 17:00

Hi kawica,

You may drain the residual power of the laptop by following the steps below:

• Disconnect all the external peripherals.
  • Unplug AC Adapter and also take off the battery.
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 to 15 seconds.
  • Connect the AC Adapter back and try to shut down the system.

Please check and make a note of the status of light on AC adapter (when AC adapter is connected to system and AC adapter is connected only to wall jack). 

In case the issue still persists, boot your system in 'Safe mode With Networking' and try to shut down the system:

• Restart the system and keep tapping 'F8' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Safe Mode with Networking' using arrow keys and press enter.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

3 Posts

March 10th, 2013 13:00

I tried to drain the residual power but still have the same result.

I put the laptop in "Safe Mode" and when I tried to shut it down it froze at the shut down screen.

1.1K Posts

March 10th, 2013 23:00

Hi kawica,

Thank you for the reply. I will recommend you to perform the hardware diagnostics on your system:

• Restart your system and keep tapping 'F12' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight 'Diagnostics' using up/down arrow keys and press enter.

Please let me know if you get any error code/message.

In case the diagnostics pass, you can perform a clean boot and check the start up programs and services. For more information on this, you can refer to link: http://bit.ly/Vi0QXe 

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

3 Posts

May 22nd, 2013 20:00

Sorry for the late reply. Just today I backed up all my files and programs and reinstalled Windows. Even with a clean start My laptop still will not completely shut down.

May 31st, 2013 21:00

I'm having the same problem. Its taking forever to shut down.If I unplug it and take the battery out and turn it back on the screen stays black and makes a beeping noise. It'll shut down if I don't log on or run any programs.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 15th, 2014 11:00

Go for new Catalyst drivers, however with mine dell only power off issue was solved, sleep and hibernate does not work properly even after new Catalyst applied.

Mike

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 15th, 2014 11:00

Hi,

Writing from DELL Inspiron 15 3537-7427.
After update Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 I have faced same problem as described already: after giving order to shutdown (or
hibernate or sleep) laptop turned off the screen however remained on (diode lit and fan running).
Also had problem that after screen turned off (due to inactivity for some time, as per settings) there was no way to wake
it up - only hard turn off by pushing and holding power button.

I have read trough several solutions and came to conclusion that problem must be software. Especially because reboot
command was working properly. No matter how you give order to shutdown - close screen, push power button or by mouse
(whichever - right down corner or start buttton) or ALT+F4 - computer do same thing, shut down system with the last
command to hardware to turn off power. Hibernate turned off or on should also not be a point. Also whether power off
command is linked to power button or not - should not matter.

As also after Win 8.1 update I faced problem to enter Catalyst settings, so I came to a conclusion that it might be there.
Downloaded new Catalyst from DELL website (they prompted me for service tag, so be prepared, it is at the bottom of your
laptop) and installed.

Now I have problem partially solved, however for some time I will live with this.
Why partially:

No matter how you give order to shut down - laptop do now shut down and turn off properly, on both batterry and AC power.
This was most important. Solved.
Screen wake up works properly after screen time-out power-off. Second most important. Solved.
Hibernate and sleep does not work OK - laptop follows my order and either do hibernate or do sleep (power diode is
blinking/breathing on sleep) however after wake up system is restarted and raises from very beginning, after desktop
appears a some problem is reported (you know, problem number bla bla bla). So unsolved or solved partially.

Now I simply do not use sleep and hibernate options, however they would be very useful to me (as they were on previous
laptop, which unfortunately sunk in the river). Most important - I can turn off laptop.

My settings:
power button action - shutdown
sleep button action - do nothing (this laptop does not have such a button anyway)
screen close - shutdown

fast boot up - can remain on (!!! and everybody says to turn off), however laptop do same as with hibernate/sleep - boots
up, faces some problem, reboots automatically from the very beginning, so actually takes longer, than when this option is
off, I keep off.
sleep - unmarked, not shown (what for if does not work)
hibernate - unmarked, not shown (see above)

also recommended in all power management plans, or at least in one you use everyday - set sleep time after inactivity to
"never".

Basing on above - I would bet updating other drivers and maybe BIOS solves all problems, I do not have time to do this
now. I will use my laptop as it is now, however would be nice if any new solution would appear here.

Have fun with yours, trust helped a bit.

Rgrds, Michal, Gdansk, Poland.

this problem was also found:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/p/19537888/20491982.aspx
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19495967.aspx
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19497817.aspx
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/windows-81-not-shutting-down-completely/598634b5-
cc19-4c3c-879e-aed44cc01154
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/dell-inspiron-15-running-windos-81-not-
shutting/0581ddab-57f1-4a03-ba89-ebdcc8d0897f
http://answers.microsoft.com/pl-pl/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/problemy-z-windowsem-81-na-laptopie-firmy-
dell/016aa168-0be9-4e9a-b777-c2d812175dd0

1 Message

August 7th, 2014 08:00

What I did I have created a shortcut with the command shutdown /p and is working ok for me I have a Dell Inspiron 1525. It is the only way that I could find to turn off my Laptop.

1 Message

November 30th, 2016 23:00

Hi, My Dell Inspiron 15R laptop(Windows 8) has a shutdown issue.When I normally shuts it down using Power> Shutdown the screen goes off..but the lights remain on...Actually it blinks..The I have to forcefully shut it down by long pressing the Power button..

Also another issue is that when the lap top is ON,after some time of inactivity, the screen goes OFF and there is no way to recover the work...Then I need to forcefully power OFF and then power ON.. I had modified few settings in power options for this..but that's consuming more power it seems..

Is both these issues related?...I had asked a technician about this..and he said the issue might be with the hard disk and may have to be replaced with a new one...Is it needed actually?...

No Events found!