lexluthor26
1 Copper

inspiron 17R SE screen IPS GLow

hi guys I just would like to ask for your opinions, I recently acquired my laptop.  but it seems my screen is having weird viewing angles specially on black.  I asked a dell chat assistance but no luck yet on finding a solution.  Unfortunately laptop is outside the US now 😞 Havent ask for the a service transfer yet.

here's some picture and video

dell screen Photos by lexluthor_26 | Photobucket

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
lexluthor26
1 Copper

Re: inspiron 17R SE screen IPS GLow

anyone?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ausGeoff
2 Bronze

Sorry mate, but I can't offer you any real help, other than to confirm that plenty of other folks are complaining about the "white glow" with IPS screens (not only DELL though).

In your case, it sounds like a warranty repair/replacement issue, as your screen's definitely defective.  There's NO way you should see the glow when looking square on at the screen, at any image in the dead centre of the screen.  Apparently it's common to see it lightly at the far corners of an IPS screen when it's viewed from an off-centre angle.

It also seems to occur mainly with screens having anti-reflective coatings (such as DELL) because most high gloss screens don't suffer nearly as much, if at all, from this problem.

Let's hope a DELL guy responds.  Good luck.   emoticon.Beer.title

—Geoff.

PS:  I've just bought one of these 17R SE 7720's myself (Dec 12) and I'm not happy with quite a few minor but irritating issues—mainly to do with the display, but nothing like your glow problem.  I think most of my issues are to do with its back-lighting not working properly—random flashes and flickering etc.  Also the NUM lock turns itself on and/or off at random intervals LOL.

0 Kudos
lexluthor26
1 Copper

^ thanks  ausGeoff, atleast I know now its a common issue, I reported it to Dell unfortunately Im in asia so tag transfer is needed, and its already transferred here just yesterday, will be contacting local Dell tech for the service.  

0 Kudos
Rafterman414
1 Nickel

I have that same problem! I thought it was just the way these monitors always are. I pretty much have to be dead on center with the screen, the slightest tilt of my head throws the colors way off and I see a dark shadow on 1/2 of the screen, and I always have that glow as well. I have a few Dell IPS monitors where I work and all of the behave the same way. My wife has the 17R 7110 (non IPS I think) and the viewing angle on that is way better then on my 17R SE. I notice when I look at the IPS monitors at work or the one on my 17R SE my eyes start to hurt after a few minutes but not on any of my other LCDs, all of my other LCDs ranging from 1-6 years old have better viewing angles.

I wonder if I should have mine replaced or am I being too picky?

0 Kudos
lexluthor26
1 Copper

your exactly right the slightest change in viewing will change the screen color. Unfortunately, I do web designs and colors are important so I will have this change if possible

0 Kudos
ausGeoff
2 Bronze

I wonder if I should have mine replaced or am I being too picky?

Nope; definitely not being too picky.  For the comparatively high dollars that these DELL machines sell for, they should be picture perfect—literally.

There shouldn't be any backlight leaking or white glow from any reasonable angle.  I note that some of the other big brands of monitors are advertising a horizontal viewing angle of 178 degrees!  (Which, in all honesty I highly doubt.)

0 Kudos
Rafterman414
1 Nickel

Do you guys know if Dell will just replace the screen or will they want me to send them the whole laptop back and then send me a new one? Just replacing the screen sounds like it makes sense but we all know how much common sense is applied in the corporate world.

I would like to keep what I have (CPU and GPU wise) since I feel like I got good 650m in there, stays nice and cool at load (around 74 Degrees C) I would hate to get sent a system that has a lower binned GPU in it, or a bad thermal paste application of either the CPU or GPU. Thanks.

0 Kudos
ausGeoff
2 Bronze

Not sure Rafter...

Depends on DELL's attitude entirely I'm guessing.  From what I've read on these forums (and my personal experience with numerous tech issues with my 17R 7720) DELL are very reluctant to repair and/or replace under their warranty.  It seems that even if a laptop is DOA, they'll endeavour to fix various bits and pieces to get it functioning properly.  It can be a time-consuming and frustrating process from the user's viewpoint, and in my opinion, totally unsatisfactory.

Unlike a lot of high-tech companies, they don't have a replacement warranty in place—that is, you send yours back and they send you a brand new (and not refurbished) replacement.

My newish laptop is still having several intermittent problems—including a warped (keyboard) casing—and DELL's agent in India just chose to ignore that issue.  I'm still getting intermittent,  intense white flashes from the backlighting which looks like a camera's flash going off in your face.  DELL can't fix that.  Also my NUM lock turns itself on an/or off randomly at shutdown/reboot  Again. no answer from DELL.

Anyway... back to your screen problem.  In my opinion, the screen accounts for 90% of the operational ability of any laptop. And if it's obviously faulty, should be replaced ASAP by DELL with no questions asked.  It's like selling you a car without an engine LOL.

I only bought my DELL because of all the positive reviews of the company's ALLEGEDLY excellent after-sales service and warranty conditions.

As it turns out, that's all just froth and bubble.  Like all these sorts of multinational companies, when it comes to crunch time for their consumers, they just don't care.  DELL is all talk and no action.

And as I've posted elsewhere, I would NEVER again buy any DELL product.

—Geoff.

0 Kudos
Rafterman414
1 Nickel

@LexLuthor26 and ausGeoff, would you mind checking something for me. Could you look in the device manager and go to Monitors and right click on the Generic PnP Monitor, go to properties, click on details and change the property to Hardware Ids, what does it say under value after MONITOR\?

I did an experiment and my 17R SE with screen problems is AUO159E, meaning it was made by AU Optronics. My Wife's 17R N7110 is SEC, meaning Samsung, and her screen is much clearer then mine, no glow, no grainyness, does not hurt my eyes like my 17R SE. I would like to see if the problems are coming from the AU Optronics panels. I checked some other laptops and screens around my office and the ones that are AU Optronics seem to be inferior to the other brands (To be fair there were still a few good ones), maybe less QC over at AU Optronics?

Thanks

0 Kudos